Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bought a very reasonable light iron >

Bought a very reasonable light iron

Bought a very reasonable light iron

Old 10-05-2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
$200.00 for an iron?? Did it do the ironing for you so you could continue sewing!!!
LOL!!!! Really!!! :thumbup: :-D
Old 10-05-2010, 10:58 AM

I got a great travel iron at Walgreen's for $10.

It heats up quickly, is lightweight, steams, and has several heat settings.

It's bigger than the mini-iron, but not as big as a regular iron. It's big enough that it fits completely over most of the squares I'm making.

Just big enough for my individual squares that I don't have to move it around to steam the entire piece.

Pefect size for pressing while sitting at the sewing machine. Enough heft to do a good job but light enough that it doesn't hurt my back to lift while sitting.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:02 PM

I am not even sure of the brand, but it was way too big to my liking, this cheap iron is heating up very well. Here in Canada, it would have been over the 200.00 mark with all of our taxes. Crazy for sure.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:09 PM

I have a Panasonic iron I bought at Wal-Mart ($25) several years ago and it is a workhorse! It is a lot lighter than my cordless so that one is tucked away somewhere???. Anyway, this iron is indestructible apparently because I dropped it yesterday, it fell flat on the soleplate onto my cement floor with no scratches and still works! The only thing that almost happened was that I started to catch it and it was on!
Old 10-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

I like my light weight cheap iron I got at Wal Mart
Old 10-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
Yep!!
Me too :D:D:D
Old 10-05-2010, 07:35 PM
np3
Power Poster

I would rather replace my iron more often and spend the money on fabric.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:12 PM

I loooooooooooooove my $200 iron!! I can steam any fabric and never scorch anything, even silk. It puts out high pressure steam like no other iron ever.

I ironed cheap poly and gave it sharp creases. Try that with your cheap iron and all you'll get is melted poly.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:23 PM

If it's like the iron I saw at our state fair, it is somewhat self propelled, and when you stop ironing it automatically pops up, or if it's knocked over it pops up when turned onso it doesn't burn your fabric.
I can understand those who have a light weight iron for arthristis but I really like my heavier iron, I don't have to press down to get that crisp seam. I also sew formals getting a seam to press as flat and crisp as possible is important - well at least to me. My current iron is from Shark (like my steam mop which I totally love and recommend to everyone). I purchased it from Wal-mart it was about $40. It replaced my Rowenta which we really loved and had used until it was needing replacement.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by kristen0112
If it's like the iron I saw at our state fair, it is somewhat self propelled, and when you stop ironing it automatically pops up, or if it's knocked over it pops up when turned onso it doesn't burn your fabric.
I can understand those who have a light weight iron for arthristis but I really like my heavier iron, I don't have to press down to get that crisp seam. I also sew formals getting a seam to press as flat and crisp as possible is important - well at least to me. My current iron is from Shark (like my steam mop which I totally love and recommend to everyone). I purchased it from Wal-mart it was about $40. It replaced my Rowenta which we really loved and had used until it was needing replacement.
That would be the Oliso iron. The one I have is the EuroPro Steam Evolution. I got the crispest seam you ever saw on David's bridal bridesmaid dress fabric with my EuroPro.