Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bow Tuck Question >

Bow Tuck Question

Bow Tuck Question

Old 10-21-2010, 12:17 PM

I love the bow tuck bags I see on here. I have a large bag of fabric samples from architect's office. It is mostly designer fabric for upholstry/drapery swatches but there are some lovely silks. I have grouped them and think I could make some lovely bags from my girlfriends.

Do you think Bow Tuck bag pattern would work with this fabric? It is heavier than quilting cotton but most is not quite as thick as a good denim.

Thanks for your opinions and ideas for other patterns.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:18 PM

Hi!!!
I think they turn out GREAT in heavier fabric! Do you have any pictures??
If you get my name for Secret Santa, you can send me one. . :lol:
Old 10-21-2010, 12:23 PM

It should be fine, I prefer the heavier fabrics for my Bow Tucks because they add a bit of stiffness that helps keep the bag's shape. I just found some pretty upholstry fabric pieces in a thrift store and am going to make more Bow Tucks. They are so nice. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 10-21-2010, 12:29 PM

I mostly use home decor fabric for the outside of the totes I make. The really heavy upholstry fabrics do not do as well as the lighter weight (like for dining room chairs) or the drapery fabrics.

The totes are not the bow tucks ones as I have been doing these for years without any pattern, just deciding what size I want to make and whether or not I want pockets both inside and out. I usually do not add batting or interfacing either, although I have used one of the pellon type grocery totes as a base and covered it inside and out with fabric. For the larger ones I do add the plastic canvas piece covered with fabric to make the bottom flat.

Have fun making your totes! And show us pictures when you're done!
Old 10-21-2010, 12:32 PM

Yes I do. Even the thinner fabrics you could use heavier interfacing or batting to make it stand up.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

I agree... BUT make sure the fabric is washable or give instructions to have it dry cleaned. Silk can be like linen slouchy and wrinkle easily. I would use a iron on medium weight interfacing on the back side to hold the crispness if I were you. Maybe do a test on the fabric to see which weight you prefer on your finished bags.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:37 PM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
I agree... BUT make sure the fabric is washable or give instructions to have it dry cleaned. Silk can be like linen slouchy and wrinkle easily. I would use a iron on medium weight interfacing on the back side to hold the crispness if I were you. Maybe do a test on the fabric to see which weight you prefer on your finished bags.
Good idea!
Old 10-21-2010, 01:48 PM

I have made mine from upholstery samples some are smaller than the pattern but they turned out great!