Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Box Cutters >

Box Cutters

Box Cutters

Old 10-21-2010, 08:35 PM

I use a utility knife (aka box cutter) to cut mat board (for framing art) on an old rotary cutting mat. The knife is thicker than a rotary cutter blade and leaves a deeper, wider less healing cut in the cutting mat. So even if it would work on the fabric, which it probably wouldn't, it would definitely ruin your mat. You could always go back to scissors if the rotary cutter is too expensive. Many of us used them for years! :D
Old 10-22-2010, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

your mats are more expensive than replacement blades for your rotary cutters...so just don't go there! you will be very sad to ruin your mat...unless of course you try it on a regular cutting board. i have tried to cut applique shapes (with paper back fusable attached) with my craft knife (xacto knife) it did not go well at all! i thought the same as you...it would be easier...WRONG!
Old 10-22-2010, 05:27 AM

I sure wouldn't try it. If you take care of your rotary cutter and blade it shouldn't be that expensive. I would hate to ruin a expensive fabric because I didn't use a rotary cutter...
Old 10-22-2010, 07:17 AM

You can only pull on the box cutter and you can't push on it like you would a rotary cutter so I wouldn't reccmnend it either. Besides the blade is fatter on a box cutter and it would make a mess and make deep gouges on you mat. Take care, Huggies, Fay
Old 10-22-2010, 10:00 AM

I had thought about that at one time, however, it would appear to me that it would pull the fabric.
I had even thought of a pizza cutter at one time, not sure about that one, I think the blade would be too wide
Old 10-22-2010, 01:03 PM

Thanks for all the opinions. I haven't tried it and now I don't think I will. I guess that kind of thinking happens real late at night.