Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Boxes of Strings- prep.

Power Poster

Boxes of Strings- prep.

I have several pieces of black fabric but I bought 1-1/2 meters of new fabric so the whole top will have the same black. With black, dye lots are important as well as grain of fabric when cutting. I gave it a good swish in the tub with Dawn dish soap to remove the excess dye. There wasn't a lot of dye but I feel better after washing it. It is on the line drying outside right now. Thanks again Angelia for sharing your pattern.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I always pre wash fabric and dry in the dryer. Too cold here to hang anything outside.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I wonder how many of us are in the process of making Angela's quilt? I use muslin as a base for string quilts so I have purchased, washed, dried, and cut about 120 blocks as of today. I think it needs 180 or so to make the 74x84 that Angela made. Also made the template for the triangle using plastic and have completed one block just to see how it goes. Goes great by the way.
    If anyone else is 'in process', it might be fun to follow along with each other.
    Tartan, thanks for the tip on black. I bought a bolt of American made black a couple of years ago and think/hope I have enough to do all the blocks. Checking that is next on the prep list.

What pattern is Angela's quilt?

Power Poster
    [QUOTE=Little Lulu;8023734]What pattern is Angela's quilt?[/QUOTE AngeliaNR, posted a picture of her scrap quilt and we all wanted to try it. She posted the pattern in the QB tutorial section under the title- Basic Instructions for Boxes Of Strings.

Do you find that the Dawn is hard to rinse out? That would be hard on my back....any reason you don't run it through a short wash in your washer?

........the whole top will have the same black. With black, dye lots are important as well as grain of fabric when cutting. I gave it a good swish in the tub with Dawn dish soap to remove the excess dye.

Blog Entries
    It would be fun to work together on Angelia's terrific design. I was going to try to get my scraps organized today so that I can have it prepped for sewing.

I have some black yardage but need it for a project for my soon to be Grand Daughter - DIL wants this triangle quilt https://seekatesew.com/modern-ombre-...orial-pattern/

I will have to run out to my LQS tomorrow and pick up more and start cutting for the Boxes of Strings
    Deb

I, too was very impressed with Angela's Box of Strings quilt and am interested in making one. How would we go about turning this into a quilt-along? Sort of like what others have done with Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt. I'm in!
    Jane

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have used Dawn in the washer, no problem. Don't need a whole lot maybe 1/2 tablespoon or 2 teaspoons. Depending on size of load.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Denno View Post
    Do you find that the Dawn is hard to rinse out? That would be hard on my back....any reason you don't run it through a short wash in your washer?

........the whole top will have the same black. With black, dye lots are important as well as grain of fabric when cutting. I gave it a good swish in the tub with Dawn dish soap to remove the excess dye.

This could be a lot of fun! I think you just have to go to the Main page to add an ongoing dedicated thread. Find the UFO post and mimic that in some way...

Luckily, I keep my strings sorted by color so it will be easier for me. I do have a pile of them waiting to be sorted... lol, a really BIG pile. This is the incentive I need to get that done!
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

It is definitely on my short list but right now I am trying to box up my house and sewing room to move - I think I have as much in my sewing room as I do the whole rest of the house!

Quote Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
    This could be a lot of fun! I think you just have to go to the Main page to add an ongoing dedicated thread. Find the UFO post and mimic that in some way...

Luckily, I keep my strings sorted by color so it will be easier for me. I do have a pile of them waiting to be sorted... lol, a really BIG pile. This is the incentive I need to get that done!

I'm going to start a thread for a Quilt-Along so keep an eye out for it. Not sure if it will show up in the swaps section or where exactly ((since we're not swapping)) - - -

Is everyone planning on using black for their triangles? Could be cool with other colors - - -
    Jane

FYI - please find the quilt along thread in the Challenges & Contest section.
    Jane