Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Boy, did I open my mouth >

Boy, did I open my mouth

Boy, did I open my mouth

Old 12-19-2013, 03:09 PM

I posted about my recent experience making a T shirt quilt for a stranger. For some reason the site removed my comments. It was a T shirt quilt and a real pain. The general public has no idea what goes into making a quilt. I used a high thread count sheet for the back and used the fitted sheet cut in strips for the sashing etc. She provided the T shirts but I had to stabilize all of them before I could use them. I was able to assemble it and machine quilt it in a week. She was thrilled and gladly handed over the $150 we had agreed on. She gave me a 50$ deposit when I picked up the shirts. She said she would keep my number as she had another child in sports. LUCKY ME!!

Last edited by mpspeedy2; 12-19-2013 at 03:11 PM. Reason: words left out
Old 12-19-2013, 03:10 PM

Wow! I don't think that I've ever paid that much for materials for a quilt! First, to cuts costs, you might want to rethink your materials. There are a lot of great sales going on at the online stores, so you might check those for fabrics. Also, EBay has a lot of vintage fabrics for sale with a cowboy theme, s/a prints, denim, bandanna, etc. You could also use some of your scraps and just fill in with the novelty fabrics to cut down on costs. There's always a batting sale out there somewhere too.

As for labor, I would charge her a straight, per hour fee...whatever you think that your time is worth. Personally, I wouldn't do one for less than $15/hr., unless it was for a family member or close friend. Those would be for free, of course.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:05 PM

What I hate is when people ask me to make a quilt for them and then get insulted that I would "dare" charge them for it! I usually just make quilts for my family - don't ask them what they want, I decide what I want to make for them. I don't make quilts for strangers. I refer them to people in my guild that are "professional quilters". There is absolutely nothing wrong with charging for making a quilt, I just don't want to do this. JMHO...

Good luck with your project!

Anita
Old 12-19-2013, 06:17 PM

I totally agree. I have made many quilts for family members and friends. They never knew about the quilt until I showed up with the finished product. It makes for a happier experience for all.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:19 PM

Personally what I would have done, is have her buy ALL the supplies, then give her a price on YOU making the quilt, also make sure that you get at least half of the quoted price as a down payment.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:01 AM

I always get the customer to buy own fabric and tell them my cost. I am usually making bags for other quilters so no problem with cost.
Don't know why people with a block on bags .
Old 12-20-2013, 04:04 AM

Most definately have your landlord buy ALL fabric, batting & thread. Decide what you want to charge. I think a month's rent would be just fine. Bartering is a wonderful thing.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:06 AM

I agree with Lynnie. A month's rent sounds reasonable and they will know the value of the quilt.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:15 AM

I'm reading a lot of good advice on here. I really like the suggestion that she shop with you for the fabric. Purchase the batting at the same time. Have her supply the coupons for JoAnn's (if she has them). Have her purchase the thread too. She'll keep any extra material and thread. How much do you pay for rent? Would it be feasible for you to charge a months rent for the quilt? Your time, and expertise?
Old 12-20-2013, 07:08 AM

I do not agree with using your scraps to 'cut down on costs.' That could very well drive up your cost for the quilt, as you once probably paid $8-10 a yard for that material. A quilt of that size can easily cost $250-300 if you're using LQS quality fabric.