Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Boy, did I open my mouth >

Boy, did I open my mouth

Boy, did I open my mouth

Old 12-21-2013, 05:37 AM

Good one! About asking for 1 month's rent…. That'll probably change her mind…...
Old 12-21-2013, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
tell her a months rent.
it's more than worth it, and she'll value it more. good luck
What a great idea. Sounds like a win-win for both of you.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:02 AM

I stopped doing commissioned work a long time ago. You can't duplicate what is in another person's mind.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by FURBALLS View Post
I agreed to make a quilt with cowboy/western theme for my landlords wife. Haven't given her a price as yet but did ask how old the boy was and what size bed he had. She said that he was five and had a twin size bed, but she wanted something like a full size for as he got older. Looked at fabric and pretty much made up my mind about what to get along with a pattern. Cost for all material and batting between 250 and three hundred dollars. Don't know what to charge for labor. Wasn't planning on a full size quilt though. Thought I could get off a bit cheaper. Any suggestions on what to charge for labor before I throw a price at her and put her into shock?
Hi Furballs, do make sure she is willing to pay before you invest in all the cost, I've been stuck with fabric I didn't want because people decide they no longer want to pay. Love Letty
Old 12-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
I highly recommend having the landlord shop with you and have her pay for the fabric. Then the actual price for labor will look a lot smaller because she is not paying you for the fabric. Hope that makes sense.
oh my guourd, do I ever reccommend this suggestion.
I got into a situation with family recently, and this takes the "awkward" out of it.
When she sees the prices on the bolt ends and does the math, she may change her mind and you'll
be off the hook.
I'd have a shopping list and make two copies, so she has her own.
Once she sees just the cost of fabric alone, you may be off the hook.
Owie,...your landlord...I feel your dilemma. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:42 PM

I agree with you. That way she is involved with the fabric she wants for the young man. Go for an easy pattern, because you can NEVER get the money you deserve for your time.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:44 PM

My sister-in-law wanted a quilt for new great-granddaughter,she told me the colors,I'll pay you,I bought material at LQS Made a rail fence pattern, gave her the quilt and never saw a penny and not even a thank you from sister-in-law or new mother and that was in April. Make sure to get some kind of deposit. You think you know your relatives lol
Old 12-21-2013, 08:33 PM

People who don't quilt have no idea how much time and effort go into making a quilt. A friend of ours found out I made quilts and said she had wanted to have two made for her daughters who were graduating and said she had asked someone how much it would cost to make a quilt and the person told her $200.00 and she thought that was way too much. Don't think that included materials. I just tell people that I do it for the enjoyment and not for pay. I don't want to have to make something that I may not enjoy making and worrying about payment. If you tell her how much it would cost she may decide that she doesn't want it done. Good luck.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:37 PM

I feel the same...before I started quilting I had no idea how much it cost and was shocked when I went shopping for my wall quilt list of stuff I needed. I do love quilting but it is expensive to make theme quilts. Yes you can make cheaper quilts by looking for fabric in all kind of ways...but I do like to go to the quilt shop and pick out what I really want.
Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
I'm still in shock over how much it costs to make quilts. The twin size rag quilt I just made used 3 layers of flannel. It is a gift and I know they have no idea of the cost involved. If I didn't love doing it, I just wouldn't even consider it.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:39 PM

I would give her the list of what you need. Include thread...I would not go shopping with her. She may change her mind.
Originally Posted by Mousie View Post
oh my guourd, do I ever reccommend this suggestion.
I got into a situation with family recently, and this takes the "awkward" out of it.
When she sees the prices on the bolt ends and does the math, she may change her mind and you'll
be off the hook.
I'd have a shopping list and make two copies, so she has her own.
Once she sees just the cost of fabric alone, you may be off the hook.
Owie,...your landlord...I feel your dilemma. Good luck.