Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Brace yourself--you're in for a SHOCKer

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    visited one of the local shops today & mentioned to the woman cutting my fabric----boy, prices sure have gone up.....well, she said, if you think they're high now.....wait a little.....bolts are soon to start @ $8-9 /yd & i've seen the new lines up to $14/yd and higher..... Not sure where all this leaves us but WOW, hug your stash now if it's goin' up THAT high! i guess my stash just got more valuable!......and now i have to add to it quick!!!

Blog Entries
    thanks for letting us know, that is expensive

Wow, that is horrible. I better stock up now.

That will sure leave a lot of quilter's out of the fabric shops. I already don't buy that much snice its gotten so high. Afriend of mine as been upset about if for the past couple years. Now she really will be P--d

Here in Canada those prices would be SALE prices. Nice quilting cottons start at $15. I am unemployed at the moment so I thank God for my stash!!!!!

They've been that high here for a year or 2. One LQS is $9.99/yd. the other shop is $8.99/yd. That's why I don't shop at them but maybe once a year. :)

Blog Entries
    Unforturnately I see the end of LQS...unless they rely on lots of other things to make it. Selling only fabric...well, it will be really really tough!

Blog Entries
    some of the fabric i see online is less expensive than going to the local shops--unfortunate--i see a LOT of shops will be going out of business due to the price increase.

Banned
    14 a yard?? OMG i may quit sewing if that happens!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewcrazygirl
    14 a yard?? OMG i may quit sewing if that happens!
    me too! or start recycling from the thrifts

Blog Entries
    I tell you Ladies, we will all have to go back to using whatever we have like so many of our mothers and grandmothers.

Sometimes I find some good fabric pieces at Value Village(thrift shop).

Blog Entries
    I guess it's time I start using more muslins along with my stash to stretch it out. I hope the locals can survive. Althought I do shop online often to save money, I do like to do what I can to support my LQS too.

Blog Entries
    Boy that is not good news. We have a place in Maine called Mardens that sells all kinds of brands fabrics for 2 anfd 3.99 a yard. Guess I will start stocking up. Thanks for the info. Guess we will have to not be so fussy and color cordinating anymore like our grandmothers. $%$%^%&^$!!!!!

Blog Entries
    i think you're right........life's funny, isn't it....

Quote Originally Posted by Pollyv9
    I tell you Ladies, we will all have to go back to using whatever we have like so many of our mothers and grandmothers.

They say after the first of the year taxes are going up and up so better buy now.:thumbdown:
    Think I will get myself that embriodering machine that I have thought about for so long.
    Either now or never

ND with W=M not selling fabric , other places can charge what they want. :hunf:

Quote Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am
    some of the fabric i see online is less expensive than going to the local shops--unfortunate--i see a LOT of shops will be going out of business due to the price increase.
    My thoughts EXACTLY. If it gets that high, there won't be many brick and mortar stores around...

I guess a lot of us won't be buying very much fabric, but shopping from our own stash!! I'm on disability and I CAN'T & WON'T pay those prices...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollyv9
    Well I am halfway there right now I am using treadle power!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by BarbZ
    Boy that is not good news. We have a place in Maine called Mardens that sells all kinds of brands fabrics for 2 anfd 3.99 a yard. Guess I will start stocking up. Thanks for the info. Guess we will have to not be so fussy and color cordinating anymore like our grandmothers. $%$%^%&^$!!!!!
    Barb.....I'll race you to Brewer! :)

Blog Entries
    Hey Lori, Haven't been to the new one in Ellsworth. They say its fantastic. I might try the new one in Scarboroh. Have you heard anthing about it? Its a lilttle closer for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori L
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbZ
    Barb.....I'll race you to Brewer! :)
    Ha!!! Is that the one in Ellsworth? I am not familar with that area. I go to Waterville and want to try the scarbough one.

I was told by some of mu suppliers that fabric world wide will be going up 4-6 percent. YIKES!! New pricing to start by September

I am already checking Craigslist every day, lol, and yard sales when I can get to them, its hard to find fabric at yard sales!

I am going to my favorite store tomorrow, so happy about that, great prices. Think I will stock up more than usual, one can't be too careful these days ya know :)
    Then I am off to St Louie for a visit, and planning on stopping in at the "quilted fox"! I won't pay those prices either, too expensive for me!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast