Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Braid quilt, size of strips? >

Braid quilt, size of strips?

Braid quilt, size of strips?

Old 02-10-2014, 05:33 PM

Default Braid quilt, size of strips?

Hi,
I am planning a Braid quilt and have done searches here and elsewhere for tips. I have seen some beautiful quilts and feel fairly confident on the technique....they seem fairly straightforward.
What I am not confident about the size to cut the strips. Seems most are 2.5 inches wide unless it is a mini. What do you usually use? And how long? The only length measurement I see fairly often is 7.5 inches. But is that 7.5 on the long side if you end the strip with a 45 degree angle? Do you recommend the 45 degree angle? Seems it would be easier, but maybe not? Are straight strips actually easier?
Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks!!
Old 02-10-2014, 06:32 PM

Here's a free PDF on how to do a braid quilt: http://www.unitednotions.com/fp_sultry.pdf
Old 02-10-2014, 07:17 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

The strips I used in this quilt in 1994 were considerably narrower than 2.5."
I think I probably cut them 1.5 or 1.75" wide.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails starstruck-1994-low-kbs.jpg  
Old 02-10-2014, 08:22 PM

That's a beautiful quilt, Jan!
Old 02-11-2014, 11:21 AM

Thank you for your comment, Bonnie.
I want to be clear that I did not intend to take over Monika's topic; it was my intent to merely show that much narrower braid strips can be effective in a quilt border. I wanted to encourage her to try something smaller than 2.5" which *may* be out of proportion to her blocks within the quilt.

Too often we use these wider sizes in order to make the sewing go faster, without realizing how the impact the overall balance effects the quilt's design.

Jan in VA
Old 02-11-2014, 03:10 PM

Love your quilt Jan.......and thanks for the insight. That was kind of my concern. I wanted to try something smaller but am not confident that is a good idea. I want somewhat smaller pieces, but not too small. I am thinking I want shorter and so they need to be narrow to look right. ??????
I think I may end up doing some "test" braids.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:15 PM

I have not made one but I think the 45 degree makes a nice angle. I would use paper to mock out braids of different sizes and test them next to your blocks.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Monika View Post
Love your quilt Jan.......and thanks for the insight. That was kind of my concern. I wanted to try something smaller but am not confident that is a good idea. I want somewhat smaller pieces, but not too small. I am thinking I want shorter and so they need to be narrow to look right. ??????
I think I may end up doing some "test" braids.
The quilt I posted is a sample for a pattern I created many years ago even before I could draw my graphics on the computer and was a class I taught for years. I love it because each block builds on a skill learned in the previous block, includes a set-in/Y seam at one point and then that braid; fun for me to make!

So, I share a couple of tips I learned along the way. The first is the piecing order - I don't use paper piecing at all. Second is a trick to keep the edges of the braid from stretching after the points are trimmed. (The graphic is for an edge treatment, but also works perfectly for a braided border.)

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails braid-piecing.jpg   twill-tape-bias-edge.jpg  
Old 02-11-2014, 08:31 PM

Thank you, Patti for the link. I have jelly roll laying around that would be perfect. And Jan! Love your quilt! I never thought of a braid border...i really have to get out of my box more often.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:38 AM

Thanks Jan. Just the kind of thing I am looking for. I haven't used twill tape since garment sewing years and years ago. Will have to look into that. The bias edge is giving me a little pause. I am looking for a sort of short and fat braid look. Like bricks set at an angle.