Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brand- or no-name replacement blades? >

Brand- or no-name replacement blades?

Brand- or no-name replacement blades?

Old 12-18-2013, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by charsuewilson View Post
I've bought both brand name blades and no name blades from Harbor Freight. I received bad blades from Harbor Freight, but others have said there's no difference, so I would expect some problems with the no name blades. I've never bought the titanium blades,so I can't speak to those.
At a recent sewing event sponsored by Walter Floriani, we were told that titanium needles heat up when used for embroidery and become brittle enough to break. From now on, I'm just using them for regular sewing!
Old 12-18-2013, 06:12 PM

Default Blades

Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
Do you think it is worth the extra money to go for brand name replacement blades to your rotary cutter? Should I even spring for the titanium blades? Will they run the extra miles to make up for their extra cost?

Keep in mind that I live in Sweden so everything is super expensive. Any deal I can make is off eBay, more or less.
I have also tried the blades from harbor freight. They are soooo terrible. I purchased them since it was a recommendation on the board. I don't know how anyone cuts anything from them. They come two in a pack and both were terrible. Never mind trying to find a good pack. What a waist of time!!! Name brand will be my way t go!!!!!!
Old 12-18-2013, 06:29 PM

I have a pack of Olfa and they are pretty dull. How long should one blade last? I cut sashings for a twin size quilt and went through 2 blades.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:16 AM
Power Poster

I have noticed the varying experiences with blades in this thread. Just want to point out that the brand of mat you have can make a huge difference in how long your blades last (and probably also how easy it is to cut with them). It would be helpful if people making comments would include the brand of mat they are using. Maybe that way we could narrow down which mats are bad or good (no pun intended, what with it being Christmas!) for blades.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:47 PM

in the long run I prefer brand blades the Harbor Freight for me and one use and cannot be sharpened
Old 12-20-2013, 07:12 PM

I only use Martelli blades. They are so very sharp and cut like butter. I have Harbor Freight blades in my sewing room. They are stuck together and I cannot get them apart. I have been able to use some. They are not that sharp so I will no longer waste my time or money on them.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:13 PM

Have a look at these compatible blades - from the UK. Their international postage is very low, the blades are good. Lots of other supplies too, and they are excellent to deal with.
http://www.barnyarns.co.uk/replacement-blades/
Old 12-21-2013, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I have had excellent blades from Harbor Freight, so that's all I buy now. I know that other people have had some bad blades from them, but from what I have heard HF will replace them. I don't know if they ship internationally.
I have and do also - found their blades great and cost a lot less. If I do get a bad one I won't feel bad about throwing it out due to the cost - but haven't gotten one yet. (Knock on wood!)

Marysewfun