Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
brick size >

brick size

brick size

Old 12-30-2019, 04:59 PM

Wink brick size

Hi Quilters! I have wanted to make the Inman Park by brooklyn quilting company for some time. I love the fabrics she used and wish I had some scraps or yardage like any of those to use. Love those bright flowered colors! Anyway, I think I can figure placement and I read 'somewhere' that the bricks were cut 2 x 3 1/2 inch. Would I get the same 'scale' look if I used the whole width say like a 2 1/2 inch jelly roll x say maybe 4 inch? or what would give me the same proportions? I am cutting from scraps and yardage. I want to make a queen size and it seems like the first measurements sure are small....Two of the deer quilts I just made, in my post 'My quilt show of guys quilts' in Pictures, I used 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 and I really wish I had cut those larger as one was a King and the other a Twin. I want to have the right look/scale like in the Inman photo and not have my blocks looked squashed and stretched, if you know what I mean. Maybe those of you that have a program and timeWink can see if it looks right to you...Thank you for any help or advice. Toogie
ps. I think someone here made this before but can't remember who....
Old 12-30-2019, 07:16 PM

You can make the bricks any size you want. Typical proportions are length is double the width, then you have to add .5” seam allowance to both sides. If I were making a queen or king brick quilt, I would go no smaller than 3.5” by 6.5”, which would finish at 3 by 6, but would probably cut them 4.5” by 8.5”.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:32 PM

I have started making this same quilt. I cut my "bricks" at 2 1/2x4 1/2. This size seems massive when sewn together. I don't have it in front of me, but I think the finished size for my quilt will end up around 98x110. I counted 49 rows, which would be 96 inches without the outer border.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

i was curious about the look of this pattern. here's a link to the pattern for sale https://www.etsy.com/listing/5796020...-quilt-pattern. it's very pretty
Old 12-31-2019, 06:49 AM

Quilted Twins has almost the same pattern for free. It is called Mosaic Variation.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

I like that one. i have been saving 3x6 cuts for something different. But I think this one is in the running now.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-31-2019 at 10:00 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 12-31-2019, 10:22 AM

It’s only $5 for the pattern. Even though you could figure it out and use whatever size bricks you want, the placement might trip you up. You know the size and scale of the thing are exactly what you envision, so I say make it easy on yourself and but the pattern. You’re supporting the industry at the same time. All the math is figured out for you. To me that’s worth $5!
Old 12-31-2019, 10:37 AM

I wasn’t concerned about buying the pattern. I can well afford that😉😂. I wanted to make a different (larger) size rectangle (brick) but still keep the look, scale, proportions whatever you want to call it . I already started this morning with 2x3.5 inch bricks. I didn’t care for so many seams but ,oh well. The Mosiac Pattern shows the layout. Also, the Mosaic variation shows it in blocks, but I don’t care for the seam in center of the blocks , even though that would be the easier & quicker way.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

I too didn't like the seam. I will just figure out how to lay out the cuts i have plus background pieces when i get around to making it.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:51 PM

nativetexan, I cut out over 700 (2 x 3 1/2) rectangles today. I hope to get most of them cut out before I start sewing...Tomorrow is another day!