Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brocade quilt >

Brocade quilt

Brocade quilt

Old 11-08-2011, 08:06 AM

Default Quilting with Brocade

Originally Posted by the lion View Post
Has anyone done a brocate quilt? I have fat quarters of brocade material & I'm not quite sure what to do with them. Any suggestions?
Just came across this site today & was interested in your question & possible answers.
I am in the same boat, my son brought me 4 yards of different colors of oriental brocade from China several years ago & I don't know what to do with it -- I asked for 'quilt frabrics from China'. A quilt artist whose pattern I was going to try suggested because it frays so much I might consider backing it with an ultra lightweight fusible interfacing..and use a microtec or very sharp needle to hopefully prevent the pulling that could show. I may try a sample of a part of her patterrn - paper piecing, but not sure how it will press out either.

Will watch for any further replies.

wilmajns
Old 11-08-2011, 08:12 AM

Can you choose a pattern where you could possibly draw a grid on the fabric and then serge the pieces off, rather than cutting with scissors or rotary cutter?

I would LOVE to make a crazy quilt with satins and velvets and brocades, but the serger will be in heavy use if I ever get around to it. Flannel too - if I ever make another flannel quilt, I will serge the pieces instead of cutting them.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:13 AM

I want to do a quilt out of brocade. I was thinking large patches and backed with a light fusible interfacing. and maybe even some velvety fabrics mixed in...
Old 11-08-2011, 09:47 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Have brocades as part of my future crazy quilt collection, with silk and velvet and organza and embellishments and beads and ribbons and lace and......
Old 11-09-2011, 06:38 PM

I think a dresden plate would be gorgeous out of brocades. I'll have to try that with my stash of brocades.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:43 PM

I just saw fray blocker in Houston for sealing edges. Supposed to be softer and less stiff than fray check. Brocade would be great on a crazy quilt. Show us when you are done. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:01 PM

I made a queen sized quilt from decorator fabrics (very similar to brocade) and it was beautiful. The fabrics had a tendency to fray badly, so I starched heavy and that helped a bit. I used the braided cording instead of binding and it was the perfect finish to an awesome quilt (recipient loves it). It was heavy and warm....just the way I like em!