Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother 1500 quilting guide for walking foot??? >

Brother 1500 quilting guide for walking foot???

Brother 1500 quilting guide for walking foot???

Old 07-06-2019, 07:22 PM

Default Brother 1500 quilting guide for walking foot???

Hi everyone. I have a Brother 1500 and there is no hole in the walking foot for a quilting guide. If anyone can shed some light on which foot to use or what I'm missing, please let me know. I would love to figure out how to use a quilting guide for a walking foot for this machine! Thank you!
Old 07-06-2019, 08:04 PM

I don't own this particular machine but I know that some of the walking foot (how in the world do you make this sentence sound like good English) that I own have the hole for guides and some don't. Maybe you can find another way to get the job done without it or perhaps you can try to find another walking foot? Good luck!
Old 07-07-2019, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by littledentist View Post
Hi everyone. I have a Brother 1500 and there is no hole in the walking foot for a quilting guide. If anyone can shed some light on which foot to use or what I'm missing, please let me know. I would love to figure out how to use a quilting guide for a walking foot for this machine! Thank you!
I watched a video some time back where the instructor showed some hacks for making a make shift guide when your walking foot doesn't come with one. I believe she took a bar from another foot and either taped it to the top or backside of her foot, or maybe she used a rubber band. I can't quite remember. Also, she showed how to use a large paper clip and bent part of it out and secured it onto the foot in the same manner.
Here is article showing the paper clip trick: http://blog.petitdesignco.com/2012/1...king-foot.html

The other possible solution is the buy this Jenome walking foot that is talked about in this blog, which has become a choice for people with the Juki 2010q that are unhappy with the walking foot that come with their Juki. https://somethingrosemade14.blogspot...uki-2010q.html

I know the machines are very similar, but could not attest to it working with a brother, but if you buy it on Amazon and it doesn't work, you can always send it back.

Last edited by Schill93; 07-07-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:27 AM

I have the 1500s Brothers. I purchased both a walking foot that fits the long shaft as well as I was able to take an antique singer part for the shaft guide. I used it just last week. Right now things are down because my stitch regular went down and I am still frog stitching the quilt on the frame. I did a couple of charity quilts using the guide. Look in old attachment for some older machines if you have any. You may be surprised what might work.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:03 AM

I've taped a bar to the backside of one of mine before, but you have to really secure it for it to stay in place. Duck tape works wonders at times!!
Old 07-08-2019, 11:02 AM

You can gently pop the plastic shell off the walking foot and insert the bar in the metal hole in the back. Just be careful with your fingers as now the moving parts of the walking foot are not guarded by the plastic shell
Old 07-08-2019, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by TouchOfRustic View Post
You can gently pop the plastic shell off the walking foot and insert the bar in the metal hole in the back. Just be careful with your fingers as now the moving parts of the walking foot are not guarded by the plastic shell
Can you put the plastic shell back on? If you can, why couldn't you remove shell, mark spot where hole in metal is and drill hole in shell, then replace it, then insert guide? Or does this make no sense at all???
Old 07-15-2019, 03:09 PM

I'll def try. Thanks, girls!
Old 07-15-2019, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
Can you put the plastic shell back on? If you can, why couldn't you remove shell, mark spot where hole in metal is and drill hole in shell, then replace it, then insert guide? Or does this make no sense at all???
I'm not familiar with this machine/foot set up at all, but this seems like a viable solution if one is able to drill through the plastic?