Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother PE 500 >

Brother PE 500

Brother PE 500

Old 11-21-2014, 07:56 AM

I have a question about wash away stabilizer! Has anyone used the Vilene for FSL? I need to order more for a project and would like something a little more than the Solvy seems to be. So far Solvy is all I have used, but sometimes it doesn't hold up even doubled with some of the veil material added. Thanks for any assistance.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:39 AM

I was thinking of getting this machine for my daughter. I think it would be perfect for her to start with and see if she even likes it.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ View Post
I would be careful about buying a machine at Walmart. A few years ago, a friend of mine purchased a Brother at Walmart. She had to take it in for servicing, and the service guy told her he wouldn't work on it. He said Brother makes a lower quality machine specifically for Walmart, and it is not the same quality Brother that is sold elsewhere.
I have to wonder why Brother would put their name on something inferior?
Old 11-22-2014, 03:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Momo View Post
I have a question about wash away stabilizer! Has anyone used the Vilene for FSL? I need to order more for a project and would like something a little more than the Solvy seems to be. So far Solvy is all I have used, but sometimes it doesn't hold up even doubled with some of the veil material added. Thanks for any assistance.
I use Vilene all the time, sometimes two layers. I would only use Solvy as a topping, not for FSL. Ultra Solvy for FSL.

Cari
Old 11-22-2014, 03:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by G'ma Kay View Post
I have to wonder why Brother would put their name on something inferior?
Every brand has their lemons, and every model will have their Friday/Monday machines. Nobody's perfect.

Cari
Old 11-23-2014, 04:44 PM

Thanks Cari. I have the vilene on order and will pick up some more of the Solvy in town this coming week as well. In case anyone is looking for a sweet angel, check out Embroidery.com I am working a FSL angel again this year as special ornaments for special family and friends. I don't recall the name of the lady who designs these, but it's a group of 3 different sizes with Merry Christmas and the year across the banner on the angel. Love these. So pretty.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:55 PM
Banned

Thanks Cari. I have the vilene on order and will pick up some more of the Solvy in town this coming week as well. In case anyone is looking for a sweet angel, check out Embroidery.com I am working a FSL angel again this year as special ornaments for special family and friends. I don't recall the name of the lady who designs these, but it's a group of 3 different sizes with Merry Christmas and the year across the banner on the angel. Love these. So pretty.
Vilene also works very well as a cut away, especially for in the hoop projects. I use it a lot for doll dresses, coin purses, etc. Being thin like it is, it doesn't add bulk to seams like normal cut away.

Cari
Old 11-24-2014, 07:02 PM

Cari, the vilene came in today! One angel down and not one hitch with the process! I think I am sold on vilene now. I doubled it, didn't use the veil material and it looks great.
Thanks for your input. Happy Thanksgiving to you and all.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:21 PM
Banned

Cari, the vilene came in today! One angel down and not one hitch with the process! I think I am sold on vilene now. I doubled it, didn't use the veil material and it looks great.
Thanks for your input. Happy Thanksgiving to you and all.
I'm glad it worked for you. It's great stuff. Looks are deceiving I know since it's so thin. I was skeptical until I tried it, now I use a lot of it. I now buy it by the big roll from AllStitch and cut it myself.

Cari
Old 11-27-2014, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

I've been watching youtube videos of the Brother PE 500 in use. The word princess was embroidered so it does do words although it may take rehooping or something. I don't know anything about machine embroidery. Didn't watch the whole thing. When the kids get here to eat Thanksgiving supper I can probably talk my DD into going with me.