Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother Scan and Cut >

Brother Scan and Cut

Brother Scan and Cut

Old 02-16-2015, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

Default Brother Scan and Cut

I have seen the demos, I have quilt friends who have them, and a dealer who keeps saying I need one. I don't get the point of using it for quilting. The prep work to cut fabric is a hassle and only one layer at a time. The other applications it is for are great like making decals, card decorations, home decor, etc. I know any shape can be cut, about any size but it took my friend hours to cut out GFG quilt pieces for a bed quilt. I had the same pieces cut with my Go in less then 15 minutes. If you have one what do you use it for the most and if you use it for quilting, do you just do applique shapes?
Old 02-16-2015, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

I agree. I see the accucut for big batches, but if you do a lot of applique, or small quilts with unusual pieces (which I don't) this might be an option.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:19 AM

Yeah but you also have to take into consideration the extra cost of the dies for each size, for each size you have to buy a new die as you can cut multiple sizes with a scanncut, prep should be that much if your proficient at strip cutting. Yes it will be faster with a die cutting machine but I find the huge expense of the dies very prohibitive on top of the cost of the machine. Also most cutting can be done even faster the traditional way as well with rulers. I can cut strips super fast with my june tailor shape cut so why pay a huge amount for a strip die that I still have to cut fabric to place on the die. If you have the right rulers you can do anything pretty quick. Also say if you want to cut a certain size and you want to do fussy cutting it is very nice on the scanncut. I have a sizzix that I hardly use, I love my scanncut for many reasons as much as I love my june tailor shape cut and specialty rulers
Old 02-17-2015, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

I'm glad there are old ways and new tools available for everyone to choose. I can cut the same shape with pencil and scissors as with any other new method but I certainly would never want to do that. I rarely base my preference which to use by price but rather time saved and value for the money.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

A friend of mine bought one when they first came out. She delighted that she can cut so many hexagons at one time. It is not something that will work in my budget.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:56 PM

I have one which I purchased around Christmas time. I think it will be great for applique, but not as great for cutting out a quilt. But as with anything, it is worth it if it is what you want... and not everybody wants or needs the same things.

But, I have to say that I am making a wall hanging and I scanned in an image of a vintage sewing machine, the ScannCut cut it out of the fabric beautifully and the detail was amazing.

Horses for courses!

Hugs

Caroline
Old 02-17-2015, 06:53 PM

It's out of my budget, also. But there is a woman in my town who creates exquisite, award-winning applique quilts, and she LOVES her Brother S&C. It allows her to easily create her own beautiful applique designs and pieces, and it works faster than her preferred old method.

To each her own.