Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother scan and cut. >

Brother scan and cut.

Brother scan and cut.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:31 AM

Default Brother scan and cut.

has anyone found this machine to be great for cutting appliqué shapes etc. I would like some advice about this before I spend the money on the machine.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

Yes, for what I understand it is great for cutting appliques but I found it too expensive for just doing that. I use strips mostly for my quilting.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:39 PM

Its great for lots of thing, not just applique. I have seen sampler quilts, drunkards path quilts, different types cut out with it, It cuts vinyl, cards etc. I love mine and think its well worth the money. Its cheaper than the die cutting machines because those are pricey without the dies and the dies are super expensive. You can get the mid range model at christmas for about half price so you can find them affordable
Old 08-19-2015, 11:59 AM

I'm also considering buying the Scan N Cut for my quilting projects. Does it feel like it will hold up for cutting cotton fabric for quilting? Do the templates that come with the machine adjust for size?
Old 08-19-2015, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

One member donated hers to our guild. It has been used once to duplicate and cut out our guild emblem for a banner. Everyone uses the Go and Go Baby that the guild has.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:40 PM

There is a quilter in my town who makes a lot of gorgeous, award-winning, quilt-show quality quilts. She bought one and loooooooooooves it. She does a lot of applique.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:44 PM

I imagine with all things like this that there is a learning curve. I would do a lot of surfing and look for the feedback on the machine and see if more people liked or didn't like it and why or why not. I would just take your time making your decision.

Oh, and I agree about having to buy dies and the plastic mats an extra expense with the die cutters. I was not entirely happy with my purchase of the die cutter I have. But, I don't think I researched enough on the price of the extras. It's not really in my budget most of the time. But, I do add one here and there.

That is not the same problem with the laser cut machines. Do you have to use a computer with it? How are you with a computer? And if it doesn't, that's just gravy in my book.

Last edited by Judith1005; 08-19-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:21 PM

Hi danlynmartin,

the scan n cut is amazing for applique .... You can even tell it how much of a seam allowance you wish to have (great for needle turned applique) or have none at all. You can alter the size from 2mm to 12 inches. It is an amazing machine, but it is not for cutting strips and blocks...... That is where the Go is useful. Also, don't forget that you can use the scan n cut for other things too, just change the blade. I used it to cut out hundreds of 1/2" hexigons..... Got over 250 from 1 A4 sheet of card!

I love my scan and cut, but I also have the silhouette cameo, Sizzix big shot pro and the accuquilt Go..... And I use them all!

hugs

Caroline

I also have the cricut expressions that I don't use much!.... So maybe don't go that direction.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:41 PM

I purchased my ScanNCut about a month ago. I hope to get proficient with it, but not yet. I did notice a new one is about to be released. Oh my....

http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/br...t-2-cm650w.php
Old 08-19-2015, 06:06 PM

You can create your own designs, use the built in ones, but additional ones created for the machine. There are 3 different price points, all do the same thing its just a matter of how many extras come with it. I personally think getting the one with all of everything is so worth it. You can change designs size, draw designs, draw seam allowances onto fabric in different widths, etc. You can scan documents into your pc, etc. My suggestion is go to Brother website, look at the projects, the extras that come with the machines, they also now do labels and jewels and an online canvas to design on and then save it to a usb and put it on the machine. Also check out the you tubes and see other things that can be done.