Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Brother "Scan N Cut" Discussion >

The Brother "Scan N Cut" Discussion

The Brother "Scan N Cut" Discussion

Old 01-21-2014, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

I have seen it, looks prety cool. Have not decided yet if it is for me.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:07 AM

I bought it, had problems doing applique. Probably because I am not following directions right. I am a "show me" girl, do not follow directions correctly. The quilt shop owner where I bought it, has not played with hers yet. She is going to let me know when she learns how to use hers, then will show me. I think this is a great item for applique, scrap booking, piecing. Cannot wait to learn how to use correctly. I really need to wait to buy new products, I should know better, but you know girls with their toys.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:52 AM

I just hit submit for one at Amazon. May not use it as much for fabric but you never know. I don't normally applique much anymore but this might make me change that.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:05 PM

I am hoping that if you have recently purchased this machine you will come back and give us a review / feedback on the Scan and Cut. thank You.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:34 PM

I sent it back. I bought it primarily to cut around stamped images on paper and it didn't cut an even border. I don't know if it was defective or what but others I have seen cut even borders and for that price, I wanted it to be more precise than it was. Not sure if I'll try another one or not.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:26 PM
ro
Banned

well i am doin a dresden plate. didnt want to trace and cut out, so i went to may fabric shop and they have a machine set up for use. so....i used theirs. i traced my template onto white paper, put it into the scan and cut. i came up w/the pattern. then i hit how many i needed on a page. so i got duplicate patterns. the size was 12x12. worked great. cut the pieces of cotton fabric wonderfully. the fabric must be heavily starched and pressed. no rough edges. however, after a few times back and forth the fabric was bunching up. it was time to clean the page. which cleaned up well with clorox wipes. believe it was recommended handi wipes. went right back to cutting the fabric pieces. no problem. there is minimal waste. beats me sitting there doin it. i got 6 out of 12x12. amazon & joanns does sell the machine cheaper than some small shops; but pay attention to how many different patterns you are getting and exactly what is included. there is a difference and that's why the prices are different.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:24 AM

Reading the process of cutting Dresden plate blades.....seems not too practical....wouldn't it be easier to simply use a template and strips of fabric, cutting blades right up against each other..no waste. This machine is probably good for some things but not all....just like other die cutter....one of which I own...
Old 01-30-2014, 06:35 AM

I just went to the website and watched the video demo for fabric. I'm sorry but too many steps to get one thing done....then having to " peel off" the fabric, then have to clean that sticky backboard.......in my personal opinion...good for paper crafts, not for fabric...and away I GO!
Old 01-31-2014, 07:32 AM
ro
Banned

its not very hard to trace your template onto a piece of paper. then hit scan. you do the set up part 1x. then you save it in the memory part of the scan & cut. its not very hard to put it into the memory. once its in the memory it cuts in a minute & you can get 6 pcs cut at once. i liked it. its a matter of ease and convenience. and i'm all about ease and convenience.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:44 AM

Ro, did you get the basic scan N cut or did you get the higher priced model that has additional quilt patterns? I am curious what the additional patterns are and if they are needed because we can just scan the template needed. Sounds like your experience is positive. I am a beginning quilter and I think that the fact that I can cut precise shapes and draw the sewing line is appealing to me. Thanks for our help.
Marlene