Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Brother Scan n Cut dx

Brother Scan n Cut dx

Does anyone have one and if so what all do you use it for? I've been thinking about getting one for a long time to use for cutting out fabric for quilting but I also like to do other crafts. I saw one on HSN tonight on sale but I'm not sure how good they would be . What do you think?

Blog Entries
    I also have been thinking about purchasing one. I would love to know what people think of theirs.

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not bashing the product. Last fall I became Very interested in this product as I had the prior model CM650 Scan n Cut 2. The new DX models promised to be amazing with auto depth (so you didn't have to always fiddle with blade depth) and it could cut so many different kinds of materials.

Upon release of this machine there were All kinds of problems with the mats refusing to load. There was a major shortage of accessories for the machine at the beginning because of a fire at the distribution center.

I watched the product reviews for a while and saw the same things over and over that the mats were a problem. It seems that there are still problems for some people.

Due to all of this, I chose a Cricut Maker instead which I have not regretted for a second. In fact, the Maker comes with a rotary blade which means you don't have to use a fusible product on the back of your fabric in order for the machine to cut. The rotary blade is amazing.

Before buying any of these machines, make sure you read product reviews.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-12-2019 at 07:32 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Funny that I saw this today, because yesterday I was looking at different Cricut models (on Amazon and HSN). Can I ask for more details about the model you have, lyric girl? There seem to be several and they are all around the same price point (over $200, although I'm sure you paid more in Canada!). I am really interested in the Cricut though, so any info would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
    Funny that I saw this today, because yesterday I was looking at different Cricut models (on Amazon and HSN). Can I ask for more details about the model you have, lyric girl? There seem to be several and they are all around the same price point (over $200, although I'm sure you paid more in Canada!). I am really interested in the Cricut though, so any info would be helpful.
    Donna, sure i am happy to talk about my Cricut. And yes, I definitely paid more than you will because I live in Canada and your dollar is worth at least 30% more than mine. At any rate, I adore my Maker. I have no hesitation in recommending the machine. I use mine to cut vinyl, heat transfer vinyl, paper and cardstock and it is amazing. I have yet to cut fabric with my Maker, but it is the machine you will want if you want to cut fabric. On any other cutting machine including Brother Scan n Cut, other Cricut models and Sihouette models, you have to put fusible on the back of the fabric before adhering it to the mat before it cuts. Because the Maker has a rotary cutter tool, it cuts the fabric beautifully without fusible on the back. PM me if you want more details.