Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Buckwheat for Filler

Someone asked me about making a little pillow filled with buckwheat. Where would I find it and also is this something that could be used in the microwave?

I have used buckwheat for neck wrap filler, and it works great. It is microwavable, but if you leave it in too long it burns and smells not good! I haven't bought any since I lived in Colorado, but got it at a feed store.

We had a mouse visit us a few weeks ago, and he loved the buckwheat neck wrap. Needless to say, I live-trapped the little sucker and drove him about five miles away before letting him go (and threw out the neck wrap!).

I have used brown rice for a neck wrap filler, too. You can microwave it, too.

oh you are so brave!

When you decide on what filler to use, buckwheat or rice, add some dried lavender. So great to smell and calming also

I have used flax seed because it is very fine and not pokey. It's fine and 'softer'. I got it at a health food store. There are two 'grades', food grade and non-food grade. I got the non-food, because it was cheaper. It has a mild odor, but not too bad or I could not use it with my migraines.

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    amazon.com sells buckwheat or any health/natural foods store does too.

Blog Entries
    I would store it in a plastic shoebox or something (hard plastic). Mice freak me out. A lot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    I would store it in a plastic shoebox or something (hard plastic). Mice freak me out. A lot.
    I'm with you, Gale. Mice totally freak me out, make me a lot crazy. We had a little colony move in recently and every day I had my dh put out more traps and seal all entrances to the house. We have steel wool now in every little hole...

I went to the festival yesterday and they had bags made with processed corn. Do you think we could get processed corn at the feedstore?

Quote Originally Posted by quilterj
    I went to the festival yesterday and they had bags made with processed corn. Do you think we could get processed corn at the feedstore?
    Probably but mice LOVE corn too. As do rats and assorted other unpleasant things. Yep, store it in a plastic container. Sealed tupperware sounds good to me. :lol: You can also use regular rice---white but not the minute kind, the real stuff.

Hancock fabric have it i have seen it in where the polyfill is

Quote Originally Posted by purplemem
    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    I'm with you, Gale. Mice totally freak me out, make me a lot crazy. We had a little colony move in recently and every day I had my dh put out more traps and seal all entrances to the house. We have steel wool now in every little hole...
    I don't know if it's true or not but grandma used to say that girl mice would always go back to their birth area to have their own children. She said that's why it important to get rid of them before they give birth.

When in Colorado, we lived on Cheyenne Mountain beside the old ski slope in Colorado Springs. We invaded the territory of mountain lions, bears, wild turkey, and many mice. I would catch mice in our house on a regular basis and had heard that if you let them go within a mile of where they were caught, they would come back - thus the long rides for them. I don't like mice either - they jump! - but I didn't want to kill them either.