Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bugs Theme

Hi I read your Bug Theme, at first itsfunny - Helarious -- I think you planted a bug under the skin, I am already starting to plan for one. I see there are a few QTers interist. Theresse

Not sure if this was suggested but use the jar block for bugs in a jar! Boys love to collect bugs in jars right? I am going to start collecting bug fabric also!!

Blog Entries
    Add me to the list of beginning bug fabric collectors. I have a grandson who just turned 18mths. I am sure he will love bugs because he already loves getting dirty. Which drives his 4 year old sister crazy. LOL!! She can't stand a spec of dirt on her. LOL!!!

Blog Entries
    I was browsing Ebay and came across this auction. I had to get one. It will be a perfect start to a quilt for Gabe. And a free pattern included is awesome!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bug-Jar-Quilt-Sq...item4aa47ccb88

Blog Entries
    What about an I Spy quilt with interlocking chain pattern. I seen that on here or some other website a couple of weeks ago and bookmarked it for a future project. And then what ever you don't use on the front, you can incorporate into the back, kind of like a reversible quilt. Actually I just checked... it was on here and the title is Need Help with Animal Print Squares.

Try the Snuggly Bug Quilt Pattern using Chenille by the Inch. I made this quilt several years ago and had fun searching for bug fabric and then using the chenille by the inch to create two dimensional bugs on the quilt!

I spy "BUGS"...

Roxanne

Quote Originally Posted by Roxanne
    I spy "BUGS"...

Roxanne
    I saw a pattern in a magazine (I have it somewhere) that was an I spy with the focus fabric under magnifying glasses around the focus piece. If you'd like I'll see if I can find it and post the directions and picture.

Roxanne

Blog Entries
    I spy "BUGS"...

Roxanne
    I saw a pattern in a magazine (I have it somewhere) that was an I spy with the focus fabric under magnifying glasses around the focus piece. If you'd like I'll see if I can find it and post the directions and picture.

Roxanne
    Would love the directions.

OMG bed bugs are not funny! Make it a Doodle Bug theme or something really cute, for nature lovers.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Totally cool name for a quilt....and timely too!!!

Lord yall have my head and everything itching talking about bugs and then I heard on the news a minute ago about some fire dept. being over run with brown recluse spiders. I must take everything out of my house and spray and vacuum and mop and start over!!! NOT!

I have thought about it, and even found a web site that has bug fabric; http://www.bugfabric.com. I haven't gotten far enough into my thought about a pattern. Just wanted you to know that there are more sick minds out there like yours and you are not alone. :mrgreen: :-D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RugosaB
    I have no photos, because I haven't even started it yet, and admittedly I'm probably still feeling the effects of the Heywood Banks (comedian) show we saw last night, but sometimes I just sit and think about quilts. Mostly themes, and this great idea came to me. I have, okay, this is a very embarrassing number, 76 different bug fabrics. It started as what I needed for a jar quilt and expanded into having them for who knows what. Last night it came to me to use them to make a quilt, to be used on a bed, and call it:

the BED BUG QUILT!

I've been hearing on the news about the bed bug problem in this country, and thought, wouldn't that make a wonderful Christmas gift?

Okay, I'll stop now, and bask in the sunshine of my creative brilliance alone

(if this was someone's idea before, I DIDN'T copy it, this was a thought that my brain thought was original, I guess that person is brilliant too!)

Anyone want to toss out patterns that would work?
    How about bug jars. I have been thinking about doing a jar wall hanging.

lol! I made a bed bug baby quilt... it had cute little "Bedbugs" embroidered onto it. Can't wait to see yours!

This thread is giving me Grandma baby rabies. Both sides, the whole family, is at the stage in life where the kids are grown into young adults, but there are no marriages or grandbabies yet. Admittedly, this idea would be just awesom for a little kid. Oh well. I've got one in the navy who says he's never getting married (and still thinks that's the way to raise kids), my daughter said she'll never have kids, I guess my oldest son has very heavy shoulders carrying all the responsibility!

Thats is some bed bugs you could live with !!!!!!

I love the idea can't wait to see pictures.
    I like the idea of fussy cutting and then snowball.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RugosaB
    I have no photos, because I haven't even started it yet, and admittedly I'm probably still feeling the effects of the Heywood Banks (comedian) show we saw last night, but sometimes I just sit and think about quilts. Mostly themes, and this great idea came to me. I have, okay, this is a very embarrassing number, 76 different bug fabrics. It started as what I needed for a jar quilt and expanded into having them for who knows what. Last night it came to me to use them to make a quilt, to be used on a bed, and call it:

the BED BUG QUILT!

I've been hearing on the news about the bed bug problem in this country, and thought, wouldn't that make a wonderful Christmas gift?

Okay, I'll stop now, and bask in the sunshine of my creative brilliance alone

(if this was someone's idea before, I DIDN'T copy it, this was a thought that my brain thought was original, I guess that person is brilliant too!)

Anyone want to toss out patterns that would work?
    Do you already have the fabric?

www.cutebugfabric.com has lots of wonderful fabric

Blog Entries
    I'm making a bug quilt now using pinwheels with an alternating plain block. The pinwheels and plain blocks are about 8" across. The quilting is just stippling inside the quilt and meander in the border.

There's a bug fabric website. You can probably find it with a search.

I love the idea. I have a couple quilts that have bugs in them. (the fabric ofcourse) and I keep seeing lots and lots of fabrics with bugs that I would just love to buy. I think they are darling.

Blog Entries
    I don't know how to get the pictures back and I don't have them on my computer at work, but if you go up to the search feature and put in Jar Quilt or grammao there are pictures of the bug jar quilt i made for my granddaughter. There wasn't a pattern; just tried to make it look like jars on shelves. Anyway, just another idea for you to ponder. Good luck with your project!

I've seen one of the jar quilts with bug fabrics as the jars, it was really neat. It was for a little boys 7th. birthday and he just went bonkers when he received it. He is now 12 and still has it on his bed. So the bug quilt was a great success.

Blog Entries
    This is a great theme. Wish I had the pictures of the one my sister made for her grandson. He selected all the bugs and she printed them out then transfered them to a light blue background to color and embrodiary. His were spiders, worms, tarantula's. She then took the pattern for the bug jar and made the blocks into jars resembling big gallon jugs and the sashed it with green, oranges and brown. Her backing was bright red, green, orange and blue frogs on a black background. We all had fun working on the quilt and of course I got to quilt it which was lots of fun. When I get a chance I will try to figure out how to get a picture of it and post it. I like the snowball or star idea. Have fun and keep working at it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast