Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Building the stash from old clothes etc

Blog Entries
    what a great thing! I just got some old shirts th give away! great thing and the ties ? is there a link for that one?

Blog Entries
    I have Bonnie's 2 books and love them. Working on 2 texas braids now.

My work jeans are almost always purchased resale and lately I've had to get 'new' ones "that fit" - KWIM? :( :( :(
    So my jeans (and everyone else in the house jeans) that don't fit or actually wear a bit are cut up into 6 1/2" squares. Jeans that are still in really great shape are donated back to a charitable resale shop.

MARY mentioned ties? Ahhhh....yes.....I have a huge collection of them too... :)

My Problem is I have to stop COLLECTIONS and start USING.

tmg
    Quote Originally Posted by tmg
    There is a book you should get. It is called Scraps & Shirttails: Reuse, Re-pupose, Recycle! by bonnie k hunter. It's all about using old cloths. You can go to this web site and order it they also have free thrift patterns there.
    Forgot web address it is http://quiltville.com :oops:

I am doing a challenge quilt - I can't spend more than $25.00 AUD on it, so I am scouring op shops and friend and relatives wardrobes for scraps and bits to cut up. It will be a Celtic Squares when it is done. In about 2030!

I had planned on staying on here longer but I have to take a shower and go to the Goodwill. I don't have a husband and I have to find some men's shirts. bye for now.
    doglover

[quote=quiltinghere]
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyJo
    http://thethriftyquilter.blogspot.co...e-thrifty.html
    quote]

Thanks for posting the link above. I read the entire article...like I've never seen it before...LOL
    When I went to save it to favorites - I already had it saved. Duh!
    :oops:
    Guess, maybe, perhaps, that's where I seen the name tags incorporated into the quilt.

Her pattern only used a total of 7 shirts - YIKES :shock:
    I probably have enough shirts to make 10 quilts! YIKES AGAIN!

Blog Entries
    A friend and I were just discussing this at lunch yesterday. When I was growing up my mom always had what was called rag bag. All of our old and out grown clothes went into this for making quilts. She never purchased fabric for the quilt tops. She only purchased the backing fabric. Grant you these were quilts for use and not the fancy ones you see these days.

I too use thrift store finds and "used-up" clothing. I leave the pieces as large as they come. I cute them apart at the sleeves, seams, and cut off the buttonhole parts and just leave the largest piece possible that way you're ready for anything. I find that if I cut them up I always need a piece that's larger than what I've cut.

Blog Entries
    I buy 100% cotton scrubs at thrift shops and cut them up for fabric. Every other week our Goodwills have a 50% off everything sale, so I can get scrubs for about $1.50 each. I get at least a half a yard or more of fabric and I find patterns that I don't see in the LQS. Also, because they are used, they have already been washed to death so no shrinking. I even made a nurse friend of mine a quilt made of scrubs. She loved it!! I say use what you've got--and think outside the box!

Go to yahoo groups and put in Quiltville - Bonnie Hunter is the mistress of old clothes for quilts. You will love her site. You can visit her web site at www.quiltville.com.
    Quote Originally Posted by hetty
    Since I am new to quilitng I don't have a huge amount a fabrics. After going mad and cleaning out the closet and chest of drawers I have a pile of old clothes (linen, cottons, natural fibre blends) that are not suitable for charity shops (ratty hems collars or cuffs) but have large amounts of good fabric. Also some old sheets/pillowcases. I am thinking of cutting these up (all buttons go in the buttonbox!) but should I leave the peices as large as possible or get out the rotary cutter and ruler and cut into squares or strips. Any suggestions as per size and any fabric you suggest not to bother with. Also, I though about clipping the manufacturers tag to the fabric so I know exactly what type it is and any special washing instructions.

Blog Entries
    I love the ideal about the scrubs I am going to keep my eyes out the next time I go to the Goodwill. I have seen some cute scrubs. But I never though of them at the Goodwill. Maybe I need to come out of the box more often :lol:

Blog Entries
    I have a friend, whose wife's father was tragically killed in December, just a few days before Christmas. My friend, Matthew, wanted me to make his wife/family a quilt using the father's old ( and some new ) flannel shirts, and cotton hankerchiefs ( the bandana kind ).. They live in Virginia, and though Matthew and I have known each other for soem years, we have never met in person - just online .. But as Matt explained the circumstances behind Doug's death, I knew I needed to at least try to make something out of the 30 plus flannel shirts, and as many hankerchiefs.. This photo is what those flannel shirts were, when Doug wore them. Each one , different in their useage, represented a father, husband, father in law, and grandpa's heart.. His family now, esepcially Matthew and Jessica, Caleb and Claire, have a memory quilt to wrap up in when they miss their pappa.. I was the blessed one to create this shirt, though it was like cutting up a persons life, and stitching it back together with my tears.. because I literally cried buckets when cutting apart each shirt, ripping off each button ( which were also used for parts of the quilt..
    The body of the quilt top, are the shirts. The binding is from some of the hankerchiefs I cut into strips. And the smaller quilt, hanging in the other photo was the little memory quilt for Matt and Jess's two small children using the hankies which I cut into rectangles..

Memory quilt I made for some friends
    Name:  Attachment-79144.bmp
Views: 37
Size:  37.2 KB

same hankies cut into rectangles for this small memory quilt
    Name:  Attachment-79146.jpe
Views: 33
Size:  3.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    a thought about where to get those fabric sample books, is to go to a window store, an upholstery type shop/store, and ask if they have outdated books to either sell you, or give away. I found about 20 of these awesome sample books here in our small mountain town.. And I paid nothing.. she wanted to clear them out, since her design shop stays only in what the trends are.. she said to me that she would die buried in books if she didn't pass them along, or throw them away - GASP... worth checking out in your area..

Hetty, my mother and her mother used to do a quilt about twice a year. When we would come home from school, mom would say that "Grandma and her were going to do another quilt, and to clean out our closet." Since our clothes were all cotton material, it was easy since all they had to do was to wash it, cut the seams off, zippers out and buttons off (When there were some), and then decide what top they wanted to do and then cut the material into pieces as they needed them. They did not have a lot of log cabin pieces cut out or dresden plate pieces, they just left the pieces as big as possible and cut as needed. Mom had a large drawer that she could stuff the material she had, so she could save the material in an out of the way place. Mom always said that the quilts should be made out of all cotton, or if you were going to use another type of material, then the quilt had to be all the same for that quilt. Good luck!

Go on-line and check out the Gee's Bend quilters. You'll see that they used only old clothing and their quilts are now in museums because of their beauty and creativity. There is an effort in the works now which encourages us to recycle many of the things we usually throw away.
    I made a CrazyQuilt wall hanging out of old clothing and i cherish it. i included pieces from the dress I wore to my son's wedding; the blouse i wore to my Mother's funeral,etc.. It becomes very personal when you look at it.
    Go for it!!

I made a bullseye quilt out of my daughters clothes. She loves finding things she had forgotten about. The back is some dress fabric I was going to make for her but never did.
    I free motioned messages on the back and the front is so busy you can't tell til you turn it over.

bullseye quilt
    Name:  Attachment-78918.jpe
Views: 56
Size:  69.0 KB

Power Poster
    I don't know. I feel safer with all cotton fabrics.

I kinda like the way these shirts are cut up and used. I hope this link works.

Thanks for the link AllyJo. WOW!!! What a neat way to use almost all the fabric with little waste! I have used clothes alot for making quilts. I have a few flannel shirts that I am planning on making a quilt for my dad; when I get the time. *sigh* My daughter & her twins are living with us now; so I have been spending time with Maria on her 2nd project.

Hetty... keep your pieces as big as you can, it helps when you have a pattern figured out. The link that AllyJo posted I see lots of fabric & very little waste. You might want to try that method when cutting.
    Crazy quilts can be made with any size pieces, top stitch on a sheet. I have done this before & will do again as my stash isn't very much.

Blog Entries
    This is a great link I have listed it on my favorites. Thank you for sharing it.

I don't precut my pillowcases and old sheets. I might need them big, so I keep them folded and waiting for the right project.
    Thanks for this link! I'd love to make one!

This link is so timely for me, since I am in the process of trying to get DH to sort out his old shirts :-) The shirt quilt is a wonderful idea.

Thank you to all on this forum who do so much to introduce us newbies to the many quilting options available to us.

I have always ripped up gently used garments for quilt fabric. Once, I got 9 cotton dresses, all with nice full skirts, for 10 cents each. That was a few years ago. The fabric has since all been used, but I'll never forget that bonanza. I remember just where I made that purchase and keep going back in hope that I can get more of the same without any such luck.

I don't precut my pillowcases and old sheets. I might need them big, so I keep them folded and waiting for the right project.
    Thank you for the link. Just had an uncle pass away who was a great guy & passed the link on to my aunt who is a quilter. Bet she'll love it.

Thanks so much for this site. I have been buying shirts at garage sales. I cut all the seams out and use them to stuff pillow cases for pet beds. This pattern will be great for the shirt fabric.

At my church we have a PRAYER SHAWL MINISTRY.It started out as just knitted shawls and has grown to a lot of different mission projects. We make little girls dresses out of pillowcases.Old ones or new ones. We just delivered 93 to amission in eastern ky.They have 1400 kids they work with. THESE ARE FUN TO MAKE. ANOTHER ADDICTION.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2