Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Building up a stash >

Building up a stash

Building up a stash

Old 01-19-2021, 06:48 AM

When I first started, I would put together a group of fabrics, first choosing my focus (usually a print of some kind) and then build around that for a cohesive palette. I was not shopping for a specific quilt necessarily - but would end up with a stack of fabrics that I liked and went well together. I find I use some colors almost all of the time, so now shop for variety in those colors. As I see a print that I really like, I now will usually have a lot of the fabrics I need to fill out the project with just a few additions. Eventually, you have some of every color - and not much of stuff you don't really like. I shy away from precuts as I find them very limiting - fat quarter bundles will find their way into my stash from time to time though. I avoid garage sales and other methods of acquiring fabric, as although it may be cheap, it will sit unused and unloved until I just get rid of it.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:09 PM

Wow! Such great advice from everyone. I really appreciate everyone's input. Keep 'em coming! 😁

So far, from everyone's suggestions, I think the best thing to do is build up backings, blenders, and probably batting. Also I think I will add thread and rotary blades. Those are prob the basics. I love the grunge line, batiks, and solids, so maybe work on getting these in different colors, but don't go overboard. Perhaps get enough yardage in coordinating colors with a few general quilts in mind.

I like the idea of making kits too. But it's probably best to avoid making an awful lot of them.

And the best idea is to create a cash account for future quilts! Very good, practical advice.

For now, I should get my quilting priorities in order and go from there.

I am so very, very grateful for everyone's comments. You guys are the absolute best! I'm so happy I joined this forum. 😊
Old 01-20-2021, 06:52 AM

A lot of my stash is what is left after making a quilt. I always seem to have some leftover. Shop Hops are notorious for enticing us to indulge in fabric, etc we just can't live without. Enjoy your retirement and quilting will be a wonderful hobby for those retirement days.