Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Button hole attachment problems >

Button hole attachment problems

Button hole attachment problems

Old 03-18-2021, 01:58 AM

Question Button hole attachment problems

Hi everyone. I'm new here and new to sewing so any help would be great! I have a singer 66 and a button hole attachment 86662. They both work great apart from every now and then I get a serious clog under the feed dog plate after attempting a button hole. Any ideas why would be great. I'll try thinner cotton and try some experiments out bug good advice is welcome. Thanks guys and gals. Marcos
Old 03-18-2021, 06:16 AM

Welcome, Marcos. This probably should have been posted in the section https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintag...thusiasts-f22/

I haven't used my older buttonholers, but have made many buttonholes with the 160506. When I started the buttonhole, I would bring the bobbin thread up through and above the fabric and would hold both threads when the first few stitches were being made. The manual for the 121795 (<link) says to use some sort of interfacing or paper for medium to light weight fabric. It also mentions to increase the pressure on the presser bar.

When you say "serious clog under the feed dog plate" are you referring to thread jam under the needle plate or between the needle plate and feed dog cover plate? You also say that it only happens occasionally. Are you forgetting to lower the presser bar? Are you loosening the upper thread tension too much? Are you threading the upper thread through the hole in the take-up lever regulator or under it? I really don't know which way would work best for the buttonhole attachment. I know for regular sewing it is to go under, but for darning or embroidery it is to go through the hole. Another thing to check is that the bobbin area and feed dogs are free from lint or thread pieces.

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Old 03-18-2021, 07:03 AM

Welcome the the QB from SE Michigan! The first things that came to mind were #1. did you use a piece of interfacing to strength and hold firm your stitching. and #2. Check your tension. That is frequently the reason for thread to tangle that way. #3. When using your buttonholer be sure to use 2 layers of fabric that took can make a difference. I look forward to seeing a great deal of you on the QB.