Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buy New or Lightly Used? >

Buy New or Lightly Used?

Buy New or Lightly Used?

Old 03-05-2020, 08:27 PM

Default Buy New or Lightly Used?

I currently have a Janome 7700 and am going to be trading up for the 9450. The dealer I plan on purchasing from has offered me what I think is a pretty good price on a new one... but then mentioned he has one coming into the shop next week that is 1.5 years old. The first owner is a long term customer of his and trades up regularly, is kind to her equipment, etc.

He will clean/go over the used machine. I'll test drive both new and used. If the used seems to be "good as new" is there any reason not to save a few bucks?

Amy
Old 03-05-2020, 08:29 PM

If he is a trusted dealer, I'd say "Go for it." You've found yourself a deal.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:41 PM

Get it if the saving is substanial. Word mis-spelled
Old 03-05-2020, 08:49 PM

Ah, so what would be considered "substantial" -- that is the question, right? lol
Old 03-06-2020, 01:04 AM

I personally think you can get a better value for your money with used. As long as its what you need.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:27 AM

I have an abundance of "used" machines in my home. Hmmm, come to think of it, I believe there are only two that I purchased new. I have a fondness for vintage machines, so getting those are a pretty good bet they will work great with a little know how and elbow grease. I purchased a sit-down mid-arm quilting machine slightly used, and I love it. I purchased a combo embroidery/sewing machine used, and I love it. I think if you are going through a dealer, you will be fine with your new, slightly used machine!
Old 03-06-2020, 05:18 AM

I would go with used with it's history. Also talk to the previous owner if possible. I love my Janome 6600.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:05 AM

Will they offer some kind of service plan on them? to me, that is worth a lot. if they offer it on the used, then I would jump on that chance. maybe you can negotiate that.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

Does it come with a warranty? That's worth some money.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:27 AM

I have purchased "used" from a dealer and am still using my Janome Memory Craft 3500 as a back up machine. That was years and years ago. My sister also bought a used Janome from a dealer and she too has used it years and years. I'm helping a friend learn to sew and she also bought a used Janome 9400 from a dealer at quite the savings and he offered her free financing. So personally, I would not hesitate to purchased used - just make sure all the parts and pieces are there. You can use the manual that shows all the accessories as a way to double check.