Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying a Bernina 750 >

Buying a Bernina 750

Buying a Bernina 750

Old 02-28-2013, 04:57 PM

Default Buying a Bernina 750

Hello,

I am a newbie here.

I went to a Bernina dealer 2 weeks ago and purchased a brand new Bernina 750. I financed it and was told I may have it in 2 weeks, but if my payments are due before I receive the machine, I have to start making the payments regardless. That did not sit well with me but I really like the machine so I went with it. Today, they told me the machine is not in yet but may be available mid March. I was also told that the last year, because of hurricane Sandy, there were people who bought their machines in August but did not receive the machine until December.

Does anyone have experience with buying a new machine? Is this a typical experience? I am very frustrated and unhappy.

Thank you.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:17 PM

With any new machine, and especially a Bernina there can be a waiting period. Supply doesn't meet demand. Iagree you shouldn't have to make payments before the machine is in your hands, though!! I would seriously look into that with the finance company/Bernina before I made a single payment.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:25 PM

Something is not adding up right. This is not a construction loan where they need your money to buy supplies. Why make a payment until the machine is in your hand? I have not bought a Bernina - I have Janome 6600 and a Viking Topaz 20 so have bought expensive machines. Each one I bought the machine was there for me to take. You should look at the contract - don't want to get bad credit over this. Another example of buyer be aware.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:38 PM
mem

You might want to join the yahoo group that discusses late model Berninas ([email protected]). In addition to answering your question, I know they'll be helpful when you actually get your machine.

Even though the last number in the name is 730, they've been talking a lot about the 750 and 780 lately.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:38 PM

Thank you so much for all your advice. It is actually a Bernina credit card financed through GE, and you put the machine on that credit card. I have not received the actual statement yet. I told the sales person that 4 weeks is the maximum I would wait and if the machine is not here by mid March, I will cancel the order and cancel the credit card.

I read on another board that some people who purchased in December were told the 700 series will come in mid March as well. I have a feeling my promised machine will be going to them first. I will check out the Yahoo board. Thanks again.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:07 PM

I purchased the stores' demo 830, but had to wait for them to get their new demo model. My first statement did come before the machine. They
told me that up front and I accepted it. I could have said no deal, but I wanted the machine.

mltquilt
Old 02-28-2013, 09:07 PM

Something is wrong here. You should never have to pay for anything until you receive it. What happens if it dosen't come for months ? If you do finally get it, when does the warranty start...the day of purchase or the day you actually have it in your possession? I have a Bernina and if someone had told me that, I wouldn't have one. Good luck, hope it works out for you.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:17 PM

I totally agree that something is wrong. And I see that another member has a similar experience. I contacted Bernina USA about this, and asked on their Facebook page when they expect the 750s to come in. Wll see what they say. I did ask about the warranty. It will start after I take possession. They actually scheduled me to start the 3 free classes next week. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:11 AM

Good luck with the payment thing. That situation would also not work for me...but that's me. When I've bought machines, I took them home immediately. It was the exact machine I test drove so I knew exactly what I was buying. THAT is what works for me.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:42 PM

I think that the 710 was introduced in Nov or Dec with special price and financing. Our local store still hasn't gotten any beyond the demo. The 750 and 780 are not as new and not as hard to get.