Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying bolt of fabric for backing >

Buying bolt of fabric for backing

Buying bolt of fabric for backing

Old 12-27-2014, 06:50 AM

I have bought a bolt for backs. I love it. I make lap size quilts also. I chose a neutral swirly pattern, I think it is by Northcott. But then I am mostly a batiks girl. I use extra blocks as a column on the back to make up the width of the quilt. Something else I have enjoyed having is a bolt of fusible web. I purchased that for a necktie quilt and had "tons" left. I am not down to less than a yard and plan to purchase more soon.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal View Post
I'll never live long enough to use all my stash. Therefore, occasionally, I'll just use various fabrics that compliments the quilt front and piece it together. Makes for a fun and interesting backing. I do realize this takes a bit more work and time.... but.

front..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503805[/ATTACH]

back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503806[/ATTACH]

front..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503807[/ATTACH]

back..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]503808[/ATTACH]
Very nice quilt! Love the backing. I'm too lazy (or too eager to finish my quilt) to make something like that. But it's a great way to use your stash.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by kathy View Post
when Connecting Threads put things on sale, 3-4 dollars a yard! I'm not real picky, I buy 6yd pieces for backs, in a medium tone and try to get something with little design.
Hum, you make me rethink about it. Shipping fof a bolt in US is about 20$, so it add a bit more than1$ to the 2$ price of the fabric... Connecting thread is having free shipping in Canada promotion right now, so at 3-4$, the difference is not much, and the variety would be greater.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:15 AM

I tend to buy 5-6 yds of nice quality tone on tone or prints when i see them on sale. I like color on the back of smaller quilts for kids or seniors. So go with whatever works for you. Buying 5-6 yds lets me use some of the backing fabric in the quilt top, so that the top and backing relate to each other.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:45 AM

I bought a colorful small striped fabric for baby quilts as most of them were colorful on the front side. Finally ran out of that fabric but found another one to replace it with lots of colors. Otherwise I've been using wide muslin for the backing and use a colored thread in the bobbin so there's a design on both sides. I also like to use up the leftover scraps on the back so no waste and it adds character to the backing.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:10 AM

I quit buying quilt backs a couple of years ago. I just piece them from my stash.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:52 AM

There is a fabric shop in Batesville AR named Marshalls Dry Goods. They have fabric at a reasonable price. If you are going to order fabric by the bolt maybe you would like to check them out. I think all you would have to do is set up a account with them which is free. You can google it. Hope that helps a little.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:45 AM

I buy 108inch width backing from Fabric Shack, on line, sometimes flat sheets on line, sometimes fleece from Ikea.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:00 AM

[QUOTE=HillCountryGal;7022783]I'll never live long enough to use all my stash. Therefore, occasionally, I'll just use various fabrics that compliments the quilt front and piece it together. Makes for a fun and interesting backing. I do realize this takes a bit more work and time.... but.]

Love your backs!!! That is what I do, but looks like you do it better!....:').....
Old 12-28-2014, 09:33 AM

I buy fabric by the bolt from fabrics 4 less in California. Their prices are excellent for the named brand fabrics. Ive purchased various colors and for the wide backing Ive purchased both white tone on tone and a beigh tone on tone.
Bolts do take up room but having the wide fabric on hand is always handy for backing. They really do have beautiful fabrics! Hill country, I really do like the idea of almost a reversible quilt! Wonderful idea for the backs of quilts!