Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
buying fabirc >

buying fabirc

buying fabirc

Old 12-07-2010, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by gump51
My dear friend, also a quilter, have learned the hard way that in the quilting world...a little more might work, but three yards always works!!
I like your thinking.

:thumbup:
Old 12-08-2010, 01:38 AM

I shop sales and I buy a piece her and there and seperate ito lights , darks, kids, plaids etc.... till I have enuf to do something... but I love scrap quilts so I also buy many Fq's.... And I love scraps. My Friendship Quilt is 1.5 x 1.2 and 1.5 x 2.5 sqs and rectangles with 4 in squares.
Thousands of pieces but I have a good 6 to 7 hundred cut.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:50 AM

I watch the sales and if I see something that I really like I will buy as much as I can afford. Three yards is about the average, but when I see something I fall in love with I try to get as much as I can. Recently found a tartan plaid on fabric.com that I immediately thought of a project for and bought ten yards on sale. A project for my sis in AZ only needed 1/2 yard, who needs a lot of Arizona Cardinals fabric? My DH feels I have enough fabric to last the rest of my life, oh foolish man. I love him anyway.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by gump51
My dear friend, also a quilter, have learned the hard way that in the quilting world...a little more might work, but three yards always works!!
I like that.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:58 AM

Since I am new to quilting after several years off, I just buy what I see that I can afford. I really love fat quarters. I had never bought fat quarters before this sight. When my kids were little I ade a lot of clothing and some quilts, etc. Now I just buy what I see I like and try to help out here and stores.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:32 AM

I like to buy on sale, I buy what I like whether I need it or not because I am building a stash. I also just buy what I can afford. My friend buys no more material than she needs for the project, don't think she has an inch left after making her quilts.She probably says a bunch of money by doing so. Gee, I went into the fabric store last night and bought material to make an apron. Ha, bought enought to make a dozen aprons, guess I am not the person to ask on this.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
I like to buy on sale, I buy what I like whether I need it or not because I am building a stash. I also just buy what I can afford. My friend buys no more material than she needs for the project, don't think she has an inch left after making her quilts.She probably says a bunch of money by doing so. Gee, I went into the fabric store last night and bought material to make an apron. Ha, bought enought to make a dozen aprons, guess I am not the person to ask on this.
I understand perfectly. You are my kind of quilter!
Old 12-08-2010, 11:27 AM

I buy at least 2 yds of it and anything that looks good with it. Just in case down the road I use it in new quilt. I buy on impulse if I see something I like and have extra money or it is on sale.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:55 AM
Banned

as much as possible!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2010, 05:00 AM
Banned

sorry ,also meant to say that a friend made a SUPERB quilt but it was only about 36 x 40 ,she would have liked it larger BUT had not bought enough fabric which went together so well ; had she not been so parsinomious the quilt would have been bigger and IMHO looked even better ,but more to the point practical too.