Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: buying kits

I am considering buying a kit, and was wondering about your experiences with Fat Quarter Shop and Craft Town Fabrics. Is there usually plenty of fabric? Seems like alot of money, but when I figure out how much yardage needed...it really isn't bad.

I have done a lot of business with Craftown...I am in one of the fabric clubs. I have never purchased a kit from them, but their fabric is great. I have not purchased from the FQ shop.

I haven't bought a kit from either of the two places that you noted, but I have both kits from Connecting Threads and Keepsake Quilting. Both of them have always sent plenty of fabric. Usually I end up with an extra strip or two. Before I got my QuiltCut, there was always enough to allow for my screw-ups. Wth my QuiltCut, I usually have a 3-6" strip leftover. These just get put in wth my scraps.

I would suggest contacting the store to find out how closely the fabrics in the kit match those in the picture. That seems to be the biggest issue with kits based on my experience.

Sometimes the changes are minimal, but I have had a couple where the colors and types of fabric bore no resemblance to those used in the sample.

Connecting Threads is the one company I have bought from that seems to send exactly what they show.

Well, I changed my mind on purchasing; but thanks for the input. I found the pattern free on the fabric manufacturer's website; so printed off the pattern;now just ordering what I really need and will use the rest from my stash. Saving lots of money this way too!!

I have ordered several kits from The Fat Quarter Shop and have never been disappointed with either the quality of the fabrics or the service. It is one of my favorite places for on-line purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Boscobd
    I have ordered several kits from The Fat Quarter Shop and have never been disappointed with either the quality of the fabrics or the service. It is one of my favorite places for on-line purchases.
    Me too....