Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying a new machine? What one? recommendations Bernina/Husquavarna? >

Buying a new machine? What one? recommendations Bernina/Husquavarna?

Buying a new machine? What one? recommendations Bernina/Husquavarna?

Old 10-26-2013, 07:07 PM

You want to know what you want your machine to do well...what stitches are a must, then try those things out on the machines you look at. Spend as much as you comfortably can so you can get the best machine for your investment. Hopefully wherever you buy your machine will give lessons, and offer service and followup advise as you need it. I do have a Bernina that I bought over 20 years ago, for almost $2,000 and it still sews like it was new, and I use it a lot. I love the blanket stitch that it has, as well as the feather stitch.
I also have a Brother PQ quilting machine-only sews straight stitch...it has the larger throat area...sews very fast so also good for machine piecing-especially strip piecint. That was under $1,000. I mostly use it though, for machine quilting.

Good luck, and hope you find a machine that you love and lasts you for years!
Old 10-27-2013, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Pattia View Post
Lets just say I don't think I will ever need anything else but the straight stitch and the zig zag stitch. any suggestions???
You don't say how long you've been sewing/quilting, but you may find that you 'outgrow' your machine if you're new to sewing - I know I did.
Features that I thought I would never use are now a 'must have'. I loved my Janome (and still take it to class) until I bought my Pfaff with the built-in walking foot. Now I wouldn't consider a machine without it.
If you've been sewing a while and know what machine type you need, then there are so many to choose from! Good luck.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:41 AM

omeI was just looking at craigslist and lots of nice used janomes for sale. You may want to check your area http://maine.craigslist.org/search/?...ome&catAbb=sss
Old 10-27-2013, 02:40 AM
Power Poster

while researching/test driving new machines also think about the *free owners classes* and service. many dealers offer free classes to teach you how to use all the great features of your new machine- and my latest one I have free cleanings/service for 5 years. you want a machine with a dealer close enough to take advantage of those services-
Old 10-27-2013, 05:22 AM

Bought my machine some time ago and have not had any problems with it. It is a Viking Sapphire 830 with a 10 in throat area and an auto foot lift that I love. When in needle down mode the foot lifts just a little when you stop sewing. Also has a drop in bobbin which is a must have for me. My Baby Lock Jane seems so primitive by comparison with its complicated threading and a bobbin case under the machine.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:24 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

ebay has many machines at very good prices!! Berninas are priced low!!
Old 10-27-2013, 06:31 AM

If you really are interested in only straight and plain zig-zag, my Singer dealer recommended the Singer 20U for a reliable straight-zigzag stitch model. It's considered an industrial model, comes with a table, and an 8" harp for under $1000.00. There is a model with a 12" harp but I couldn't find any information on it.
Here's a description -- it can be found cheaper than this. http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/singer-20u109.php
Old 10-27-2013, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

Be sure to make a list of all your must haves!! Test as many as you can before you buy. Good luck!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2013, 07:54 AM

Check out this site: http://www.sewmamasew.com/2009/06/bu...ewing-machine/
There are 2 PDFs that are quite helpful:

"Sewing Machine Questions" while you're researching which machine is right for you.
"Sewing Machine Wants/Needs" that you can print out and take with you when you comparison shop.

Good luck.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:58 AM

Be sure to check out good used machines. You can often get a top of the line brand for half the price. You may just want "straight line" now but get to find the fun of different stitches. Don't ignore the Pfaff - the IDT (built-in walking foot) is priceless!