Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buying Scrappy Fabric

Buying Scrappy Fabric

Am I the only person that actually goes out and buys fabric to make a scrappy quilt? I know it defeats the concept of a "scrap" quilt, but I'm never satisfied with the real scraps I have.
    Penny

No, you're not the only one! Sometimes I want a color that I don't have. If it makes you happy, go for it!!

Power Poster
    My LQS sometimes has scrap bags for $10 and I have bought one when doing a scrappy to get more variety.

When I did a Bonnie Hunter mystery several years ago I hadn't been quilting long enough to have much of a scrap stash so I went around everywhere and bought several 1/4yd cuts of fabric from each place I went. My quilt turned out great!

Cari

One of the ladies in my quilt group has a room packed full of fabric but doesn't want to deal with organizing it so whenever she wants to do a scrappy quilt she goes to Joann's to buy fabric then cuts it into scraps. Makes no sense to me but it's her fabric not mine, and it makes her happy.

I've bought fabric for a scrappy quilt too. Didn't have want I needed.

Every quilt I make I try to use fabric that I already have. I want to use up what I have, but it seems I always have to go out any buy some more to finish the quilt. And it always feels that I have more fabric after I finish the quilt than when I started.

I have done it both ways.. and sometimes I am not thrilled with the out come either.

If I want a scrappy feel to my quilt but don't have the right colors I go shopping -- and that just kills me ha ha

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    At one point in time the fabric for the scraps was purchased new. Same goes for fabric (shirts, dresses, etc.) was purchased and the clothing was made.

...and sometimes, even when they're organized, and you have colors that will do, you're just plain tired of them! That's why I have to keep having giveaways. When I've used the same fabric enough times that it doesn't bring me joy, out it goes. In with the new.

I will get something to add to the scraps, like a background. I think it helps unify the project.

Blog Entries
    I always start with what I have, and add solids for relief , borders, or binding ....which I often have to buy. I buy charm packs for $0.01 or $1.99 at msqc daily deals and often cut them into 2 1/2" charms for swapping and adding to my scrap collection. You are not alone.

I do many scrap quilts. I have two rules I live by. 1. Use everything you have. 2. If a fabric looks good with it's neighbor (the fabric it is next to) then it will look good in the neighborhood (the quilt). I've never been disappointed in my choices even though I've used some weird and/or ugly fabrics. There are always enough bright and beautiful fabrics to make up for the less fortunate pieces. Waste not want not and all that stuff.

I have several "scrappy" quilts model, quilts I like to make with about 50% of scraps. But I always need to add some "new" fabric to get a coherent look (either from my stash or from the fabric store). It`s ok for me.

I've bought scrap bags from Etsy sellers, but never bought new yardage to make scraps out of!
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I did have to add a color (orange) when making a Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt (Celtic Solstice) as I just didn't have any then. And I've purchased some for background to calm down the chaos of my scraps!

I have because I don't have a stash and not enough scraps from other projects to make a quilt.
    Singer 66 treadle, Singer 15-91, JC Penney 6923, Kenmore 50, White 2334, Brother 920D serger. RIP Singer 1036

Blog Entries
    I sometimes buy scraps for a scrappy quilt. I get bored with my same old fabrics. It also gets me going when I lose my quilting mojo.

One of my first quilts was scrappy. I had to buy all of the fabric. It was the ugliest thing you never wanted to see. Not real proud of that one.
    I am just now starting a quilt I am calling scrappy. I know I do not have enough stash to do it, so once I know what I have, I can go get the rest I need to finish.
    Do what seems right to you. But have fun with it.

Sometimes when I make a scrappy quilt, I need to buy the border or background fabric. I spend too much time making the quilt to use a border or background that is not just right for the quilt. I figure using 80% scraps is still better than buying all new fabric.

Blog Entries
    Isn't that what FQs are for?
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

I do it all the time. And I love to work on scrappy quilts.

Blog Entries
    When I started my first Bonnie Hunter (En Provence) my stash did not have many neutrals. And she seems to have plenty of weird neutrals that look good eventually, but they are things I would never buy on purpose. So I got on eBay and found a guy with lots of neutrals. To me, neutrals are boring. I buy color, so I was having a great deal of trouble gathering enough to do her quilt. I ended up arranging with this Frank's Bargain in New Hampshire (franks11 on ebay) to have him pick them out. I got 25 different neutrals with 4 yards of each one (100 yards) for 3.45 a yard with the shipping. I was most pleased and now I can take on any BH mystery quilt.

My idea of a scrappy quilt is a layer cake LOL

Blog Entries
    Yes, that and layer cakes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast