Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Calculator binding >

Calculator binding

Calculator binding

Old 01-18-2014, 05:08 AM

Default Calculator binding

Somewhere someone had a tutorial sewing pieces of fabric on calculator tape to make a scrappy binding.I can't seem to locate that tutorial. Can anyone tell me where I can find it?
Old 01-18-2014, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...er-t56940.html
Here's crumb piecing using adding machine paper. Not sure if you could use it for a binding, lots of seams, but it sounds intriguing
Old 01-18-2014, 07:36 AM

I've done a double fold piano key binding using 1" (finished) keys and it was extremely bulky. The corners were impossible to miter neatly, the hand stitching on the back was very difficult to keep hidden, and it was just a poor finish. My advice for any mega-pieced binding would be to make it single fold only because of all the seam allowances inside.

Last edited by ghostrider; 01-18-2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I've done a double fold piano key binding using 1" (finished) keys and it was extremely bulky. The corners were impossible to miter neatly, the hand stitching on the back was very difficult to keep hidden, and it was just a poor finish. My advice for any mega-pieced binding would be to make it single fold only because of all the seam allowances inside.
This was my thought as well. I don't think the tutorials on adding machine paper piecing were meant for binding.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:36 AM

Thank you for all your responses - the tutorial is exactly what I was looking for. I also appreciate the advice about the bulk because of the seams - I would never have thought of that. I have a quilt that I made that I would like to make a scrappy binding but, because of the bulk issue, I'm going to rethink that one.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:05 AM

I have made a double fold scrappy binding for a quilt. But my pieces were at least 6-8" long before joining, and I joined them all with a diagonal seam to spread out the bulk. Good luck. Ann
Old 01-18-2014, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KittyD View Post
Thank you for all your responses - the tutorial is exactly what I was looking for. I also appreciate the advice about the bulk because of the seams - I would never have thought of that. I have a quilt that I made that I would like to make a scrappy binding but, because of the bulk issue, I'm going to rethink that one.
I make lots of scrappy bindings. First cut your scraps into random length 2.25 inch strips (or whatever width you usually use), now join them on the diagonal, like you would wit any binding strip. lots of colors and no bulky seams. When you get to a corner, make sure there's no joining seam. Might have to add or remove a piece to make this happen.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by krafty14 View Post
I have made a double fold scrappy binding for a quilt. But my pieces were at least 6-8" long before joining, and I joined them all with a diagonal seam to spread out the bulk. Good luck. Ann
I have made scrappy binding this way and love how it turned out. Not too bulky at all.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:33 PM

i have used a striped fabric cut on the bias to mimic a scrappy binding. worked pretty good