Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Call me dumb, but what is? >

Call me dumb, but what is?

Call me dumb, but what is?

Old 09-01-2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
Originally Posted by nantucketsue
I don't understand why when they made the 1/4" foot they didn't just allow for the thread width. It does make a difference.
The person who writes the directions is trying to cover all bases. Part of the problem is the fabric itself. It's not so obvious with quilting cotton but if you go to other fabrics it's easier to understand.

Compare silk to canvas. OK extreme examples. Imagine sewing three strips of silk together, press to one side. Now imagine doing it with canvas. Measure the width of both. The silk will be wider than the canvas because it doesn't lose as much to the rollover in the fold.
Exactly!! That's why a scant quarter inch seam will differ from person to person, even project to project. The best thing is to do a quick test with the machine, thread and fabric you will be using for your project. If you need a tute on how to test, I did a post a while back on this subject:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-89997-1.htm
Old 09-01-2011, 09:56 AM
mac

Originally Posted by Darlene516
I agree. But if so many patterns ask for a scant 1/4" you would think someone would design a foot for it.
They did, I have one for my low shank machine. The cost is $6.95. They also have them for slant shanks, too.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by marknfran
Originally Posted by Glassquilt
It's a thread or two smaller - allows for the rollover when pressing.
boy, I cannot see a thread or two with my eyes.....I just do my best to keep the l/4 inch.
AMEN to that one. I too try to get the 1/4 inch and if I do, I feel pretty good about it.

Sibyl
Old 09-01-2011, 06:37 PM

One or two threads dont seem like much, but I just finished a Gods eye block that ask for a scant 1/4 seam I sewed a 1/4 seam and was short(not a 12'' block) but the block had over 60 pieces so the seam differences made a difference in size.I would think if one used the same pattern through out a quilt and same seam it would be ok.I was doing a sampler and didnt have a great out come.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:13 PM

Don't ask me, i have a piece of tape on where it says and i'm doing a BOM and so far i have done three blocks and none of them are the size their suposed to be.