Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Calling All Collectors of Vintage/Antique Quilts >

Calling All Collectors of Vintage/Antique Quilts

Calling All Collectors of Vintage/Antique Quilts

Old 05-29-2010, 05:19 PM

I love the vintage quilts and tops and have bought some on ebay, garage sales, thrift stores, antique stores. I have never paid more than $45, many were in the $10 range. I have finished all the tops I bought, quilting them on my Tin Lizzie. If the seller was known to me I always send them a picture (email) of the finished quilt. On the label I put any info I have about the top and piecer. I can't hand quilt these or I would finish them by hand. I think the makers would be glad to know their top is now a finished quilt.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:30 PM

On eBay, I was always very careful to give only what I knew about the quilts, and describe and photograph all the flaws. The people who bought my quilts loved them, but knew exactly what they were getting- so no bad surprises. One guy wanted a quilt, but he wanted to use it, so when he won the auction, he asked me if I would repair the damaged spots and how much I would charge. I patched it and repaired all the frayed seams and he sent me a picture of it on his sofa. It made my day.

One thing about parting with treasures is passing them on to be loved.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:53 PM

I regularly go to antique shops, there's always old quilts to be found. I find most of them in such bad shape and I don't want to take the time to repair them. If I run into one I really need to have then I'd buy it. For now, I have my DGM's Grandmothers Flower Garden all hand pieced and hand quilted hanging in my sewing room!! Several of my other DGM's quilts that were started by her(she passed away in 1970) and finished by my DM. I use these every day on the spare beds.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:42 PM

Ebay is my favorite source for quilts, I bought a Grandmother Flower Garden, flour sacks hand pieced hand quilted, never been used. Two appliques, from the 1980s, never used, an appliqued Amish, never used, a Lonestar, never used, Flying Geese, used. A 1st place, prize winning quilt from the LA county fair about 100. A Maple Leaf under new. And about 5 or 6 more, all about 50.00 or less each. The most I have paid is about 125.00. I give them as gifts. Most were hand quilted some the stitches about 10 - 12 and most could fit a king size bed. Many were over 70 years old. I can't find good vintage quilts here as we are a warmer area. Ebay, if you wait and don't buy around Christmas, is a gold mine of quilts.

I always ask for a close up of the stitching, and if the quilt smells. I don't care about dogs or cats, but many times the wool batting will stink. Watch feedback, and if in doubt pass. I wait and watch.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:45 AM
Google Goddess

wow, wonder how many collects old quilts here on this board
Old 08-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Google Goddess

anyone finding all cool vintage or antique quilts?
Old 08-28-2010, 07:15 PM

I love my quilts. I have been quilting for 20 years and don't have any that belong to me,but I have over 30 in my collection. My sister can't figure out why I buy them when I make them. My best buy was a cathedral window quilt I found in an antique mall. It is a king size from the 30's,and all the blocks have the same printed fabric on them. It had been stored for 30 years,I was told,and in mint condition. I got the quilt for 157.00 dollars.a I don't use it on my bed,it is very heavy,but beautiful to look at. I buy antique quilt tops all the time for low prices,haven't gotten around to quilting them yet,but intend to start soon.