Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Calling all hand quilters >

Calling all hand quilters

Calling all hand quilters

Old 01-10-2011, 08:29 AM

I've actually found that if I try to practice first, it never happens. I'm better off just getting on with it on the real thing. I think it depends on your personality.

Originally Posted by Holice
did i read your intial post correctly. You have never hand quilted and you hooped up a real quilt and started without having hand quilted before. This is not good. You need to practice first until you feel comfortable with hand quilting and then go to the real thing.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

did i read your intial post correctly. You have never hand quilted and you hooped up a real quilt and started without having hand quilted before. This is not good. You need to practice first until you feel comfortable with hand quilting and then go to the real thing.
I jumped right in with both feet on my very first quilt too! I will post pictures of it when I get home.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
I jumped right in with both feet on my very first quilt too! I will post pictures of it when I get home.
Thanks, I needed that and with the advise here I think I can now do it. Found not using a hoop has helped a lot and I tried a larger needle. I just think the best way to do something is to just like you say............."just jump in with both feet and do it".
Cannot wait to see your quilt when you have time to post it.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mattee
I've actually found that if I try to practice first, it never happens. I'm better off just getting on with it on the real thing. I think it depends on your personality.

Thanks Mattee----gotta love that name----DGD is Madelynn and we call her Maddie---not the same but close. Here she is with her little "broby".
Attached Thumbnails attachment-157330.jpe  
Old 01-10-2011, 12:29 PM

You have to "rock" the needle to get tiny stitches. Google "hand quilting tutorial or utube" and it'll show you how.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:53 PM

Very cute!

Originally Posted by mommafank
Originally Posted by Mattee

Thanks Mattee----gotta love that name----DGD is Madelynn and we call her Maddie---not the same but close. Here she is with her little "broby".
Old 01-10-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by mommafank
Thanks, I needed that and with the advise here I think I can now do it. Found not using a hoop has helped a lot and I tried a larger needle. I just think the best way to do something is to just like you say............."just jump in with both feet and do it".
Cannot wait to see your quilt when you have time to post it.
Yay!! good for you. :D Can't wait to see yours. ;)
Old 01-10-2011, 01:51 PM

i hand quilt, don't use a hoop. i use a quilting frame to baste, then i use a glass table top, it's easy to spin the quilt and i start at the center and work my way out. my experience is that as long as the stiches are evenly spaced it turns out fine. good luck i think everyone finds their comfort zone
Old 01-10-2011, 02:06 PM

Holice:
You got it right...............I just "hooped it up" and now thanks to lots of support from others and great recommendations---------------I have unhooped it and it is really going great. Do not plan on being a professional or artist at this but rather just enjoy the feel of the needle in my hand.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:21 PM

me too, i enjoy feeling the needle..good luck