Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Camoflauge Quilt

Camoflauge Quilt

My son (23 yo) asked me to make him a quilt - a camoflauge quilt.

Where is the best place to get this fabric? And what pattern do you recommend?

Blog Entries
    I'm sure Joann fabric has some. You could check on line to a few different quilting shops.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Handcock Fabrics has some.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

I will be watching for a pattern idea. My DIL would like a camo quilt!

Blog Entries
    fabric.com; bear paw quilt company; hobby lobby; joannes;
    if you visit the fabshophop- on the home page- part way down on the right side is a box that says---fabric search---click on that box- type in what you are looking for- you will get a list of the shops (registered with them-about 180 to choose from) that carry what you are looking for
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

try a google search. I have been collecting different ones to make a quilt for my nephew. I am going to do scrappy mountain majesties on Bonnie Hunter's site. www.quiltville.com
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

My 18 year old son also wants a camo quilt. I will be watching this thread.

(It sounds boring to make).
    "Be brave enough to be who you really are.

Thanks for the input, ladies! I'll check those sites! There's a surplus store about 45 mins from me and they carry some great items - they have a HUGE craft bldg - I think I'm going to check there first.

I'm still interested in any pattern ideas you all have! I've been seaching several websites for ideas and I just can't decide! There's just so many patterns to choose from! lol

I like this camo quilt in a bear paw pattern. http://katiescomforts-quiltsandmore..../search?q=camo
    "Be brave enough to be who you really are.

Definiytely joann"s has the fabric. I use my coupon and buy 5 to 10 yards at a time.

This is a really nice looking quilt! Thanks for posting the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Elise1 View Post
    I like this camo quilt in a bear paw pattern. http://katiescomforts-quiltsandmore..../search?q=camo
    In the crazy quilt of life, I'm glad you're in my block of friends. ~Author Unknown

I love that bear paw quilt! thanks for sharing the link!
    please! keep sending suggestions.... I love looking and planning!

Joann's has it in the apparel area. I recently bought some for a quilt. I've just started working on charity quilts for Quilts for Kids and their website says that they need quilts for teenage boys. If you walk through the quilt fabric at your local store, you can see why - it's all pastels, and hearts and butterflies. There's almost nothing for older boys. I made a very simple quilt (just large single blocks) from camo fabric, a fabric with autumn scenes, and a fabric with wildlife animals. I picked a handspun plaid at Joann's for the back and later realized that it reminded me of the inside fabric in sleeping bags.

One reason I used just large blocks is that cutting the autumn scenes and animals up would make them difficult to recognize. And (speaking for myself) guys like things simple.

Tate
    King of the Rocketeers!

There are different kinds of camouflage fabric available - depends on whether they want military camo or hunting camo fabric. For those whose daughters, granddaughters, nieces, etc. want PINK camo fabric, check out Meadow Friends by Deb Strain for MODA http://www.fatquartershop.com/store/...694&Parent_Ids=

I used it as sashing between paper-pieced pink ribbon blocks in a quilt for a good friend who's battling breast cancer (and winning so far) - was thrilled to get it and sais she likes the Pink Warrior theme.

I found some camo print in a brown, tan, beige range of colors....and the shapes are fish!! Looks very cool. I bought it online but if anyone wants to know which retailer, let me know and I'll figure it out. It's going into a pair of twin size quilts I'm making for some young boys. But DH saw it and wants something made out of it!!

I wasn't sure I would be able to find any camo fabric so I started picking up fat-quarters in various shades of greens, browns & creams and then.... after I found a ton of these I found a few bolts of camo! lol just my luck! but as it turns out I need every bit of what I got for this project!

Anyways, the crazy woman that I am.... as soon as I got home with all this on Saturday I started cutting & sewing!!! I couldn't wait to start this! As of this evening... I have all the top pieces cut, sewn, pressed and ready to assemble! I'm so excited! Tomorrow night I'll start layering & basting! I have been working like a crazy woman on this every evening - hoping to have it done for Christmas!

This is the pattern I'm using... I just found it about a week ago and I knew as soon as I seen it that this is the one I needed to make!

http://www.mccallsquilting.com/articles/merrygoround
    Last edited by PatriceJ; 12-14-2011 at 03:01 AM. Reason: replaced copyright protected photo with link to source

I saw a couple of camo quilts that really looked sharp. Both were made with the variegated green and tan camo fabric. The pattern was the same on both quilts but the sashing and borders were colors that would match one of the colors in the camo fabric. On one quilt they were one of the lighter greens and on the other they were one of the lighter browns. The pattern was a large square of the camo fabric with a star in the center made out of the fabric used for the sashings and borders. I do not know if the star was pieced as part of the block or if it was appliqued. The camo fabric was used for the backing. I hope this will be helpful to you and I regret that I am too new at quilting to recognize the name of a pattern by site.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Very cute pattern. I can't wait to see your camo variation. It'll be perfect.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Blog Entries
    I like the bear claw also. If he is an avid hunter like my SIL I would put squares of the animals he hunts the most. I am in the process of gathering pictures of his "trophies" so I can put them on printable fabric squares for a quilt for next year. I am very lucky - even the kids have pictures with their 'trohpies" so I will be able to include those too!!! After all he was the one who taught them to hunt.!!! If you dont have any pictures you can find deer pillow panels or just fabric with deer on it it. Cant wait to see what you do
    Grandmas are just antique little girls!!

kso
    I think the bear paw is a great pattern for what I consider ugly fabric.
    Last edited by kso; 12-14-2011 at 06:51 AM. Reason: description
    "God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses" -- Robert Bontine Cunninghame-Graham, letter to Theodore Roosevelt, 1890