Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can’t bring my self to patch >

Can’t bring my self to patch

Can’t bring my self to patch

Old 10-24-2022, 05:29 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
Default Can’t bring my self to patch

I am making a quilt to be raffled off to benefit a family from Ukraine, done in yellow, blue and white. Somehow, I cut the batting too small which I didn’t realize until after spray basting it to the backing. I figured I could just add some more. Thinking I wanted to do it right, I got out my batting iron on tape.
well somehow some of the batting stuck to the pressing cloth as I was ironing the seam( from the batting side) since I was trying to add it to the already sprayed on to the backing. Hope you can follow that! Well it stuck to the pressing cloth and instead of reheating and slowly pulling it off I , yup, yanked it off. It stressed the batting and what a mess. I tried to patch it but in the end , I couldn’t do it. what would you do?
I will use it for another quilt which I will keep but couldn’t not do my best for a quilt I am offering for a raffle. These people have been through so much, I want to make my best effort to help them.
Sorry I don’t know how to do a photo but will try once it is done.
Old 10-25-2022, 03:59 AM
Power Poster

I would cut out the spot by going the whole width or length of the batt and then use batting tape or zig zag the 2 straight edges back together. So aggravating when batt is getting so expensive!
Old 10-25-2022, 05:24 AM

The above suggestions sounds good. I have patched or put pieces of batting together using a zig-zag stitch and you really can not tell there is a batting patch when you are done quilting. I don't know how you are planning on quilting it, just make sure that you quilt across the join lines