Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can anyone help me with choosing a quilt pattern? >

Can anyone help me with choosing a quilt pattern?

Can anyone help me with choosing a quilt pattern?

Old 11-17-2017, 05:24 PM

Default Can anyone help me with choosing a quilt pattern?

My first grandson will graduate high school next year and I'm looking for an appropriate pattern to make him a quilt. Am thinking about flannel. Anybody have quilt patterns/suggestions/pointers for me. I don't know his tastes, colors, etc. Also what size would you recommend?
Old 11-17-2017, 05:34 PM

You could ask him to send you some of his tee shirts and make a tee shirt quilt for him. I make one for each of my grandkids when they graduate. If you decide to make a flannel one, I would use Yellow Brick Road pattern. It is my 'go to' pattern when I want something fast. I think flannel is best used with straight seams and Yellow Brick Road is perfect for that.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

as to size... does he sleep in a twin bed? then, make him a twin quilt.
what are his hobbies? use that as a theme?
when i made a quilt for my teen grandson, i flat out asked him his preferred colors... but i didn't reveal the pattern
Old 11-17-2017, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

I don't know one man who doesn't like southwestern style quilts. Done up into batiks would be great!

I made myself a turquoise, black and white quilt. When my grandson saw it he asked for it. So, I am still without one for myself. LOL ...

I forgot to mention, the quilt was a free pattern for red rooster fabrics. It would be in the older patterns by now on the site, I am sure.
Attached Thumbnails trevor.jpg  

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 11-17-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:45 PM

You can't go wrong with stars. Also, if he will be living in a dorm, most of those beds are extra-long twin size.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:35 PM
Power Poster

Here are some I would consider:
http://www.swatchandstitch.com/thequ...-diamond-quilt
https://www.craftsy.com/quilting/pat...-stones/101806
https://www.anniescatalog.com/detail...prod_id=134319

I would probably consider the first two for flannel. The last one is beautiful, but may be too intricate for flannel.

Working with flannel is a little different; simpler patterns work best with it. I like to wash and dry flannel in the dryer twice to make sure it has finished shrinking. After that, I recommend using a heavy starch on it before cutting. I like a 1:1 mix of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water. I paint this on the yardage with a large wall painting brush, wait a few minutes to make sure it penetrates the fibers, then dry in the dryer and iron with steam. Makes the flannel very stable. Flannel creates a lot of lint, so I would recommend thoroughly cleaning your machine (bobbin area and under the throat plate) after every couple of bobbins. Half-inch seams are better for flannel than 1/4" seams, to prevent fraying. Keep that in mind when selecting a pattern.

I often refer to this website for deciding on a quilt size:
https://www.quiltingcompany.com/sugg...hm-welcome-new

Just don't do as I did the first time and calculate the size based solely on mattress size; scroll down to get their recommendations for quilt sizes for different beds. I would think you would want something suitable for a twin or twin xl bed size.
https://www.quiltingcompany.com/sugg...hm-welcome-new

Edit: For the "Simply Cool" quilt, I see that it is actually simple enough to make up in flannel. If you wash and dry the flannel twice and starch it heavily before cutting, as I described, you could get away with 1/4" seams. Just be sure to quilt moderately well (quilt lines 4" apart or less) to reduce stress on the seams. The more quilting on it, the less stress on any given seam. For quilting thread, I would strongly recommend polyester (Glide or Bottom Line) because it will not stiffen the quilt even with close quilting. My experience with cotton thread is that close quilting can make a quilt stiffer and less cuddly.

Last edited by Prism99; 11-17-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
I don't know one man who doesn't like southwestern style quilts. Done up into batiks would be great!

I made myself a turquoise, black and white quilt. When my grandson saw it he asked for it. So, I am still without one for myself. LOL ...

I forgot to mention, the quilt was a free pattern for red rooster fabrics. It would be in the older patterns by now on the site, I am sure.
That quilt is wonderful! The fabrics and their placement are perfect. Who wouldn't want that?
Old 11-18-2017, 05:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post

Very pretty quilt and handsome Grandson.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:43 PM

If I were making a quilt for a grandson going off to college, I'd make this one. https://www.quiltingcompany.com/stor...igital-pattern

It's easy. It won't show dirt. It is masculine and looks really cozy.

bkay
Old 11-19-2017, 04:49 AM

I used “manly” flannels and made my oldest son a log cabin quilt to take to the dorm....20 years later, its still in his home and gets used.