Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52

Thread: Can anyone help me find this

  1. #1
    Super Member arizonagirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Peoria, AZ (Vistancia)
    Posts
    1,575
    Blog Entries
    105
    I am looking for a pattern for this quilt. I love it so much. I know that it would be a real challenge to make.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Super Member KGoodhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    2,651
    Wow! Beautiful! Can not help with where to find it but WOW!

  3. #3
    MTS
    MTS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,301
    http://www.quiltrascal.blogspot.com/

    or

    Another option is to it with a woven technique.
    Check out Anna Faustino's books Simply Stunning Woven Quilts.

  4. #4
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Yes, that is an Andi Perejda design. She is in CA....can't remember her website, but you can Google her. She gave that workshop at our guild a couple of years ago. She's great!!

    OK, here's the link. http://www.andiperejda.com/about.htm

    The thing is, she doesn't sell the patterns. She gives the workshops for $$$.

  5. #5
    Power Poster PaperPrincess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,481
    Blog Entries
    2
    Too slow

  6. #6
    MTS
    MTS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Yes, that is an Andi Perejda design. She is in CA....can't remember her website, but you can Google her. She gave that workshop at our guild a couple of years ago. She's great!!

    OK, here's the link. http://www.andiperejda.com/about.htm
    Huh.
    I don't know who Andi Perejda is but THAT quilt is over 100 years old and is known as the Vortex quilt. I believe the maker is unknown.

    It was prominently displayed during the Red & White quilt show in NYC back in March, and is always included on the best ever quilt lists.
    The maker had no access to rotary cutters or any of the notions we have today. It was hand pieced from templates. Maybe she had a compass and a protractor. Maybe.


    Here's Andi's copy/reproduction of the original:
    http://www.andiperejda.com/1910.htm

    But all credit goes to the unknown maker.

  7. #7
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    16,248
    Blog Entries
    2
    love it. just saw it recently when searching something in Images.

  8. #8
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    That's what I was referencing...the quilt that Andi made from the original design. Andi figured out all the geometics and had rulers made to make this design. It's a complicated design...that center circle is a killer!!

  9. #9
    Super Member ube quilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    9,845
    Blog Entries
    31
    I just saw this quilt in one of my books but no pattern. I don't know if there is a pattern available. Someone with EQ skills could probably make one. Isn't it gorgeous. The book is titled America's Glorious Quilts, Edited by Dennis Duke and Deborah Harding. The book is a compilation of museum quilts and all I can say about it is WOW, what a book. Following is the info I have on this beauty.

    Pieced and appliquied, c. 1910
    Made in NJ
    In the collection of America Hurrah Antiques, NYC

    I have to add that all the previous replys were not there when I saw your topic and started typing so now this is just more info! And MTS Is right on her info. This quilt was shown in 1968 at the Great American Quilt Festival and Contest in NYC.

    You have great taste in quilts!
    peace :D

  10. #10
    Super Member arizonagirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Peoria, AZ (Vistancia)
    Posts
    1,575
    Blog Entries
    105
    The people on this board are so awesome. No matter what the need is everyone is so ready to help. Thank you everyone for your help. I have a good start on this now. The tutorial is great. I also checked out the book: Simply Stunning Woven Quilts. I think that I will be buying it soon.

    Robyn

  11. #11
    Super Member ube quilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    9,845
    Blog Entries
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by arizonagirl
    The people on this board are so awesome. No matter what the need is everyone is so ready to help. Thank you everyone for your help. I have a good start on this now. The tutorial is great. I also checked out the book: Simply Stunning Woven Quilts. I think that I will be buying it soon.

    Robyn
    Retail $75.00. I was lucky, It was gifted to me. What's more amazing is I was browsing through it just last night. Sort of meant to be!

  12. #12
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    20,099
    There are 52 segments in each round. WOW!

    360 degrees are not tidily divided by 52.

  13. #13
    MTS
    MTS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,301
    Andi has an instructional DVD for making the quilt for $19.95 which is very reasonable.
    http://www.andiperejda.com/dvd.htm

    And check out Anna's woven gallery -
    http://newtechquilts.com/webs/index....=category&id=1:works&Itemid=155
    She's had awards at Paducah and Houston and other shows.

    My favorite quilt of hers won the Empire (NYC) Quilt Show a few years ago
    http://empirequilters.net/pg/s07/z/s07az323.html
    She always manages to incorporate something woven in the design.



    I keep looking at it wondering about the different ways to piece the Vortex quilt.

    Because once you had the full size cartoon drawn out you could break it up into sections(rays) OR you could break apart the rings and piece it that way (like Barbara B????? did). And use freezer-paper.

    Very interesting.

    Thanks for posting it today.

  14. #14
    Super Member CoriAmD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lake Orion, Mich
    Posts
    1,634
    Wow! It is pretty, but I think I would go cross eyed if I worked on this one! :lol:

  15. #15
    Super Member ube quilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    9,845
    Blog Entries
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    Andi has an instructional DVD for making the quilt for $19.95 which is very reasonable.
    http://www.andiperejda.com/dvd.htm

    And check out Anna's woven gallery -
    http://newtechquilts.com/webs/index....=category&id=1:works&Itemid=155
    She's had awards at Paducah and Houston and other shows.

    My favorite quilt of hers won the Empire (NYC) Quilt Show a few years ago
    http://empirequilters.net/pg/s07/z/s07az323.html
    She always manages to incorporate something woven in the design.



    I keep looking at it wondering about the different ways to piece the Vortex quilt.

    Because once you had the full size cartoon drawn out you could break it up into sections(rays) OR you could break apart the rings and piece it that way (like Barbara B????? did). And use freezer-paper.

    Very interesting.

    Thanks for posting it today.
    I've seen some for her quilts. Aren't they great!

  16. #16
    Super Member mom-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,487
    Wow! That is truly a spectacular quilt! Definitely not one I anticipate attempting any time soon...like maybe never...

  17. #17
    Super Member arizonagirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Peoria, AZ (Vistancia)
    Posts
    1,575
    Blog Entries
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting
    Quote Originally Posted by arizonagirl
    The people on this board are so awesome. No matter what the need is everyone is so ready to help. Thank you everyone for your help. I have a good start on this now. The tutorial is great. I also checked out the book: Simply Stunning Woven Quilts. I think that I will be buying it soon.

    Robyn
    Retail $75.00. I was lucky, It was gifted to me. What's more amazing is I was browsing through it just last night. Sort of meant to be!

    WOW! That is a lot of money. I found it on Amazon new for $19.97 and used $9.99

  18. #18
    Super Member newquilter10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Illinois/Texas
    Posts
    1,177
    Blog Entries
    1
    Wow, that is beautiful. It looks hard to do.

  19. #19
    Super Member sewwhat85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    6,891
    you can watch her here also about this quilt http://www.hgtv.com/video/antique-in...deo/index.html

  20. #20
    Super Member Peckish's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    6,318
    Blog Entries
    1
    I bought Andi's DVD a couple of years ago - it is actually NOT that hard to make. I'd describe it as more monotonous, if anything. You simply cut strips of varying widths, sew them together, then cut them length-wise in varying widths, and sew them together again, so you have a "checkerboard" pattern. Then you get a wedge ruler, trim, and sew the wedges together. I highly, highly recommend getting the DVD, which comes with written instructions also. Andi gives very clear, concise directions for how to piece that quilt in 2 different sizes.

  21. #21
    Cyn
    Cyn is offline
    Super Member Cyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville NC
    Posts
    6,761
    Blog Entries
    17
    Whoa! Beautiful!

  22. #22
    MTS
    MTS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by arizonagirl
    Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting
    Retail $75.00. I was lucky, It was gifted to me. What's more amazing is I was browsing through it just last night. Sort of meant to be!
    WOW! That is a lot of money. I found it on Amazon new for $19.97 and used $9.99
    Ok, so I reread the thread but I can't track back to what the $75 is referencing. What costs $75???

    Anna's book is regular priced and still available (I've even seen it in Joann's).

  23. #23
    Super Member ube quilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    9,845
    Blog Entries
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    Quote Originally Posted by arizonagirl
    Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting
    Retail $75.00. I was lucky, It was gifted to me. What's more amazing is I was browsing through it just last night. Sort of meant to be!
    WOW! That is a lot of money. I found it on Amazon new for $19.97 and used $9.99
    Ok, so I reread the thread but I can't track back to what the $75 is referencing. What costs $75???

    Anna's book is regular priced and still available (I've even seen it in Joann's).
    The $75.00 refers to the original price of the book titled America's Glorious Quilts. If you back thread far enough it tells the little information about the original quilt.
    Sorry for to little info on both counts!

  24. #24
    MTS
    MTS is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting
    The $75.00 refers to the original price of the book titled America's Glorious Quilts. If you back thread far enough it tells the little information about the original quilt.
    Sorry for to little info on both counts!
    Ah, ok. Got it. Thanks. I have the book and I know I didn't pay anywhere near that.

    Well, it's certainly going for bupkes now.
    $.20 !!! Yikes.
    http://www.amazon.com/Americas-Glori...0611890&sr=1-1

    You could buy a few for that price and wallpaper the bathroom with the pictures. :mrgreen:

  25. #25
    Super Member donnaree59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,430
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    http://www.quiltrascal.blogspot.com/

    or

    Another option is to it with a woven technique.
    Check out Anna Faustino's books Simply Stunning Woven Quilts.
    How in the world did you find this so fast? Y'all are some SMART people on this QB!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.