Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can anyone help? >

Can anyone help?

Can anyone help?

Old 12-07-2015, 10:35 PM

Could be a burr on the hook or needle plate. Or could be the timing is a bit off. If you could take off the needle plate, turn the handwheel to see where the needle is going. Then you could see how close the needle is to the hook as it passes -- maybe the hook is too close to the needle, and cutting the thread or breaking the needles. But those needle plates aren't very consumer friendly. Might need to take it to the shop.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:29 AM

Are you using a spool? Could it be catching on the little notch that you secure the end into? This has happend to me MANY times before...Now I usually check as I am threading from those spools.

Also sounds like something is too tight..snapping to me means its getting caught on something, or tensions need to be backed off a bit-even if your stitches look good to the eye. Deep breaths! Panicking does not help matters as your machine can 'sense' that!
Old 12-08-2015, 08:24 AM

Don't know if this will help, but the project I just finished was breaking needles until I lengthened the stitch and then I sailed through to the end. Why? I have no idea, but it worked and that was what I needed. I wish you the very best as I know what it is like to be up against a deadline with a cranky machine.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:50 AM

Tank you all for the wonderful suggestions and responses. I finally took her in to my service Guru and he found a tiny little piece of thread caught up in the tension wheel. Got that out, adjusted a little here and there and now I am nearly finished with this little quilt. I also did not have the needle seated properly so that of course was the cause of needle breakage. It seems no matter how long we have been quilting, there will come that day that nothing seems to go right. I am happy to report that day has now come and gone and I am back into getting Christmas projects finished up. Hopefully, when my daughter arrives from Fl. Wednesday, she can show me how to connect my phone to the computer so I can post pics. Thanx again to all of you wonderful gals and guys that ried to help out.