Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can anyone identify this method of binding?? >

Can anyone identify this method of binding??

Can anyone identify this method of binding??

Old 09-06-2019, 03:39 AM
Power Poster

I've done facing a lot and I never had the seam line showing at the edge like this one has.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:42 AM

I think it's called a knife edge finish.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:52 AM
Power Poster

This is not faced. Facing has a large strip of fabric added and folded to the back. Like this: https://thesillyboodilly.blogspot.co...y-to-face.html

This little mug rug has a "knife edge" finish. This can be achieved a few different ways. One way is to birth it before quilting as tesspug wrote. Then the piece was top stitched. I did the same thing on this little hexie table topper. Hexagons

This method is best for small pieces like mug rugs, placemants, table toppers, etc. Anything bigger it gets dicey in the quilting process and you are likely to get pleats and tucks in the quilting.

The other way this can be done is a traditional knife edge where you turn under the backing and top 1/4" and top stitch or hand stitch closed, this was top stitched. There are loads of tutes out there and here is a link to Dread Pirate Rodgers pdf file that explains a lot of different ways to finish a quilt.
http://piraterodgers.com/tutorials/a...nishes/AF1.pdf
Old 09-06-2019, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

Facing binding but instead of sewing the strips to the front and folding back it is sewn to the back and folded to the front.

it is like in this link shared earlier on in the post except the facing is folded to the front.
https://serendipitypatchwork.com.au/...facing-finish/

Last edited by Annaquilts; 09-06-2019 at 04:56 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

I am tending to think the narrow pink borders were sewn on to the "top" like any other borders -
then it was "birthed" and top-stitched along the inside and outside edges of the narrow border.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:08 AM

I did "butt joints" using bias/straight binding for a couple of decades before I switched to the mitered corner technique. I found they held up well to washing and use, but decided to switch to the show entry technique because I might as well...

Typically you do the long sides first, you leave the ends raw because you will sew over them. Pin on short sides and sew, then flip inside out and and sew (with tiny stitches!) the binding. Grade cut the ends to minimize bulk and flip right side out.

I never did the stitching along the outside edge, think I could with something small. I did try stitching down the binding by machine but I'm happiest with the results I get doing the blind stitch finish by hand even though I'm really slow.

Edit: I do think this was birthed, I see no evidence of seaming on the back. Two sided bindings can be done and is a fun finish for some projects, especially if it has two "right" sides.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 09-06-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Nonnie4 View Post
I received a lovely mug rug in a recent swap and loved the binding method. It does not have mitered corners which tend to give me trouble. I asked my swap partner what it was called so that I could possibly find a tutorial online but she did not remember what it was called. So I am throwing it out for all you "experts". You can see that the binding does not wrap to the back. Any thoughts?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]617076[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]617077[/ATTACH][HR][/HR]
This is a Double Sided Binding. Very easy to do. You are just using 2 pieces of fabric and put on like normal. I can post my handwritten directions in a bit.

Last edited by Ellen 1; 09-06-2019 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:14 AM

It looks like something I have done when birthing a quilt. Works well on smaller quilting project but not so well on larger projects.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ellen 1 View Post
This is a Double Sided Binding. Very easy to do. You are just using 2 pieces of fabric and put on like normal. I can post my handwritten directions in a bit.
Nope, definitely not, look at the bit of backing that shows in the pic and the double seam lines of stitching, the printed design in the fabric matches up perfectly across the seam line, right down to the the double scroll exactly in the line of stitching. Even if someone took the time to make a binding to match perfectly there is no way they could duplicate that perfectly. This piece is not bound in any way it is finished with either a knife edge or birthing and then the maker machine stitched it closed, which is the stitching right next to the edge and then did a stitch right next to the ditch where the pink border meets the green and pink print on the front.

Nonnie 4 can you tell us if the butting seams in the corners are stitched closed? Also can you post close up pics of the corners both front and back and holding it up so we can see the edge. These shots would confirm for me the method of construction used. But I am still thinking this was birthed, then quilted.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:47 AM

Double Sided Binding-I learned this from watching Betty Cotton on a quilting program on TV many years ago. There is also a photo tutorial in the Quilters Newsletter, July/August 2007 (if you have saved back issues). :-). This is my notes from watching Betty Cotton (Cotton Theory). Hope this helps. Makes a great finish on a quilt!

Hummmm....photos not very clear. If you want this I can PM it to you.
Attached Thumbnails ba3012a6-ef64-46d8-b723-1ba2561e0de4.jpeg   09c425f1-c936-4446-8af1-b79fba573a14.jpeg  

Last edited by Ellen 1; 09-06-2019 at 08:51 AM.