Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone tell me

why hand quilting needles have such small eyes in them. It is so frustrating for me to thread these darn needles, even with a needle threader. The eyes are so small that sometimes the threader won't even hardly go through them. Just had to vent.

Blog Entries
    Sorry, I don't know that answer!! :(
    But I have also wondered the same
    thing. Hope you find out, here on the
    Quilting Board!!
    :D :D :D :D

I don't have the answer. I use a size 12 needle, and you can't use a threader with them. When My eyes are really tired, I have to move up to a 10. I think there are a brand out there with big eyes, but don't remember the brand

Richard Hemming has larger eye quilting needles. The only kind I've bought since I heard about them. I wear glasses and that doesn't help threading the smaller eyes.

Has anyone tried the "Spiral Eye Needle"? Not sure what sizes they come in but I remember seeing them advertised one time and seeing something about quilting. They are a side threading needle, meaning you don't have to stick the thread through the eye you just fold it in half and "snag" it on the open eye!

I think if they have a size for quilters it could be a GREAT thing! I know I am only 26 and I HATE threading tiny eye quilting needles!

Somewhere near the water in beautiful Michigan
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltinggrandmaca
    why hand quilting needles have such small eyes in them. It is so frustrating for me to thread these darn needles, even with a needle threader. The eyes are so small that sometimes the threader won't even hardly go through them. Just had to vent.
    I'm going to take a "stab" at answering this question. I believe that it is because a larger eye could potentially leave a bigger "hole" in the fabric as you quilt, which of course is not particularly esthetically pleasing. At least that's my theory.

But I also agree with you that it's difficult to thread a quilting needle (especially the smaller ones) with quilting thread ... seems these needles have tinier eyes, and we all know quilting thread is a little bit thicker than what we sew with in our machines. You'd think the manufacturers could get it right :roll:

I just bought some Big Eye quilting needles from the UK (John James). Not sure if Clover do them also. This supplier will post needles for a small sum in an envelope to the U.S.
    http://www.asding.com/index.php?main...roducts_id=603

Just a tip on how I thread my needles. I use size 10 because 12's are just too small. When cutting your thread be sure and cut it at an angle. Not straight across. Then put the needle in your mouth (yes your needle) to wet the eye of it. Never get the end of the thread wet cause it will "swell" and be difficult to get thru the eye. I know all of us are used to putting the end of the thread in our mouths to thread that darn needle. Hope this helps or at least makes sense to some of you. Good luck Marge

You can also buy a better quality needle threader with a finer wire that threads those needles. They're Collins brand and they're made to thread finer needles. A package of two will last ages too.

Wow I thought I was the only one who couldn't thread those suckers. My friend uses a long basting needle but the eye is still small.

A friend of mine gave me a book filled with quick tips on quilting and one of the tips say you should take a full package of your favorite needles and thread all of them onto the spool of thread, then take one and pull the thread and one needles out until your have the required length and leave the rest of them still threaded. When you need the next length of thread just pull the next needles and some thread and start sewing again. I tryed it when hand sewing my binding and it was great. As i read more of the book will share some more tips.

I just searched and found this http://www.roserushbrooke.com/hand-needles.html, I think I might some. Also results had this on Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/Big-Eye-Quilti.../dp/B000C38AKM Good question by the way. :D

Jane what is the name of the book,I need all the help I can get.

Blog Entries
    Sometimes just turning the needle to the other side helps. One side of the eye is larger than the other. I thread all my needles at the same time as JaneDennis suggested if I'm quilting a for a long time.

Dix
    Blog Entries
    I use YLI thread when I hand quilt. It is thicker and will go right through the eye. I have always used Roxanne needles. Oh yeah, do cut at an angle!

Hi have you found anywhere to buy those spiral eye needles? I saw a news clip about them on our local station, but no info on where to buy them. I have looked online but haven't found them. They sound like they would be just the thing for me :lol: Thanks laurilli

Blog Entries
    I have one of those needle threaders that is free standing and also a good quality needle threader with the really fine wire. Its still a problem for me and I HATE threading needles! I found though that if I hold the thread still and put the needle onto the thread (instead of the way we were all taught to move the thread)..it seems to work better for me.

Oh...if all that fails...big eye needles!!! :wink:

the reason quilting needle eyes are so small is that they have to go through three layers of fabric. One thing you can do to thread them is cut your quilting thread off first before you put it in your needle threader. Or if you wear glasses try threading needles without your glasses.

I love the Roxanne needles. They have a bigger eye and they come 50 to a bottle for about $8.00

Debbie KS

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I cannot take my glasses off to thread a needle because then I would never even get close to the eye, but thanks for the suggestion. I will try and find some of these needles and see what they are like. Thanks again.

Wetting the needle eye does help! But glasses do not make threading any easier. Good light and turning the needle to the wider side helps. Who know they weren't both the same!

Blog Entries
    Hobby Lobby has the spiral eye needles but they are expensive! $10 for two needles. They come with a protective case.

Look at this website about the needles. Nice! but I lose too many needles to keep up with one special one. But this caught my eye: The only hand sewing needle
    made in America. Spiral Eye Needles
    are made in Minnesota by a family owned
    business

I may have to buy one after all.

http://www.spiraleyeneedles.com/

Another tip which I always use when sewing anything is to run the thread over bee's wax or an old candle stub several times before threading. It will make the thread just stiff enough to poke right thru the hole of the needle. We need all the help and tips we can get. I also do this when threading my sewing machine, works wonders. Ruth

Both Clover and Bohin make a table top needle threader. I have the clover one and I love it. It won't thread Roxannes size 12, I have heard that the Bohin has 2 sides for different sizes and types of needles. Also, try a size 11 needle. It is the length of a 12 but the thickness and eye size of a 10.

The name of the book iis "Every Trick in the Book" by Ami Simms, it is a paperback type book and the Mallery Press, Flint Michigan put it out. Hope you can find it, it was given to me as a gift by a dear friend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast