Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
can it be done? >

can it be done?

can it be done?

Old 09-22-2011, 07:02 AM

A two color Churn Dash is really pretty.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:26 AM

In "Family Ties: Old Quilt Patterns from New Cloth" by Nancilu Butler Burdick, there is an "Improved Nine-Patch" in green and white on page 49. Really pretty quilt, on my "to do" list (someday!).

This was the best link I could find- http://www.patternsfromhistory.com/c...nnas_quilt.htm
When it was two colors in my book, the four outer pointy "patches" and the center square of the nine-patch are green, and everything else is white. Scalloped edge, with green binding.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:35 AM

I actually made this quilt in a smaller size with help from the quilt teacher. I didn't have enough of the fabric for the full size. It came out beautifully.

Originally Posted by dunster
I love the cover quilt in this book.

http://www.amazon.com/More-Simple-Qu...6649640&sr=8-3
Old 09-22-2011, 07:57 AM

Are they solid colors? If so how about a Fern Quilt?
Old 09-22-2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by quiltin amma
I have 5+ yards each of 2 fabrics that I would like to use for a 2 color quilt--how can I get the biggest "bang for my buck" and get the biggest quilt possible? I can use other fabric for the backing. Would love to be able to get a full/queen top if possible--What pattern would you use?
A king (105 square) bento box (15" blocks) would need 12 yards of fabric - 6 of each. (You need 49 15" blocks and it requires 1 fat eighth of each color per block.)

The more pieces in a block and the smaller the units of each block, the more fabric you lose in seam allowances. The potato chip quilt actually is one of the better patterns for using less fabric.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by catmcclure
I have 5+ yards each of 2 fabrics that I would like to use for a 2 color quilt--how can I get the biggest "bang for my buck" and get the biggest quilt possible? I can use other fabric for the backing. Would love to be able to get a full/queen top if possible--What pattern would you use?
A king (105 square) bento box (15" blocks) would need 12 yards of fabric - 6 of each. (You need 49 15" blocks and it requires 1 fat eighth of each color per block.)

The more pieces in a block and the smaller the units of each block, the more fabric you lose in seam allowances. The potato chip quilt actually is one of the better patterns for using less fabric.
I've not heard of "potato chip" quilt....I'm curious and will look it up.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:52 AM

I made the Hunter's Star with about 4 yards of each fabric using a technique from a tutorial on this board. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-50608-1.htm
The quilt finished 63x82, 5 yards should make at least a full size. The brown/beige quilt was made after I saw a block on this board and did the calculations to make the block then the quilt.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-260673.jpe   attachment-260674.jpe  
Old 09-22-2011, 09:53 AM

I made the Hunter's Star with about 4 yards of each fabric using a technique from a tutorial on this board. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-50608-1.htm
The quilt finished 63x82, 5 yards should make at least a full size. The brown/beige quilt was made after I saw a block on this board and did the calculations to make the block then the quilt. All done with strip piecing and very little waste.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:39 AM

Go to http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html
You can find many, many blocks here in Alphabetical order or block size. It will give you not only the block pattern, but also a picture of the finished quilt. Just make sure you have lots of time, cause you can spend hours & hours here.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Power Poster

I've never heard of a potato chip quilt before, but yours is beautiful. Thanks for sharing the picture of your lovely quilt.