Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can I get some ideas? >

Can I get some ideas?

Can I get some ideas?

Old 03-30-2017, 03:39 PM

Default Can I get some ideas?

I'm about to go out on a limb here, and hope someone can help. Along with all the other quilts I am planning on starting, I'm now getting Charm Squares every month. I already have a plan on using them, calling a version of the Grandmother's Flower Garden the "Smoking Charms Quilt". There is a reason for this name. I'm planning on turning the charm squares into 1 inch hexagons (using the EPP die from AccuQuilt), but need some more ideas. I'm going to use these hexagons as a replacement for smoking.

What I can't decide is should I just use the fabric as is, or maybe do some embroidery for the center of the flowers to represent the fact that I'm quitting? The hand sewing part is what I want to do to replace that cigarette in my hands. Help me with a decision, please?
Old 03-30-2017, 04:27 PM

I'm not a hand quilter so please forgive my lack of expertise but anything that keeps your hands busy and away from the habit you're trying to break seems like a good idea to me!! Good luck!!
Old 03-30-2017, 06:04 PM

I would use the 4" or 6" hexagons, maybe embroider the center or plain areas, then embroider the lines inbetween the hexagons. Date each one, embroider a word of encouragement to yourself, "You go, Girl!" or something to that effect. That way it will not take forever as I have used the 1/2" hex to make a flag and it took 3 years. Go to Pinterest and look at some that are embroidered. Lots to see. Have fun.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:51 PM

As a smoker myself, I'd first concentrate on getting your flowers and paths done and then concentrate on the embroidery. You may find that a) your habit is broken by the time you have completed your top; b) with the fabrics you've chosen that it may not need the addition of embroidery.

You always have the option of adding embroidery once you have your flowers/paths completed and/or the top. Your hands/brain will tell you where you need to go.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:17 PM

No suggestions but just wanted to congratulate you on your efforts to quit smoking an addiction that is hard to break.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:23 AM

Thanks Heavens I never started smoking. However, I understand addiction....mine is Dr. Pepper!

Favorite book with Hexies is: Quilts from Grandmother's Garden by Jaynette Huff.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:52 AM

I just want to wish you success in quitting. It is an extremely difficult habit to break but if you are determined and get past that first week, you can be home free. Remember that smoking is a two part addiction, the nicotine physical addiction and the actual physical habit of just lighting up and associating a cigarette with various activities. When I quit 10 years ago, I took up knitting socks to keep my hands busy especially in the evenings. I had to focus on what I was doing, learning the process, etc and while it helped to keep my hands busy, I had to stop at some point and that is when I wanted a cigarette. All I am saying is be prepared. I used to call my sister and tell her I was taking a "cigarette break" just to break the pattern and habit, this worked for me as I was totally determined to quit.
I am so glad that I finally quit and there is NOTHING in the world that would make me take one more puff. Wishing you much success.
Now if I could develop such determination in breaking my sugar addiction!!! I am working on it though.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:16 AM
Power Poster

I admire your determination! I would also agree with NJ Quilter. I would do the flowers first, then add embellishments.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:22 AM

Congratulations on your decision to quit! I smoked a straw for 6 months after I quit. Like Murphy, I would never take another puff. Quitting was so hard I would not want to do it again. You have a plan to keep yourself busy, that is a good first step. You might consider asking your physician about any therapies he can recommend to help you on your journey. Good luck, you can do this!!!
Old 03-31-2017, 04:32 AM

I am in my 7th year of not smoking, after 48 years of smoking. It was and is still hard. I hope and pray that this was the last time I have to quit. Still have trouble on the phone, but coloring books and crayons help with that. Will say a prayer that you are successful.