Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can I hand-applique on top of an old comforter? >

Can I hand-applique on top of an old comforter?

Can I hand-applique on top of an old comforter?

Old 11-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Banned

of course you can.
I might suggest preparing the appliques and then spray baste them down to hold in place and use pins since you will have three layers to work with. You can still just sew into the top layer but need to use some way to hold it in place.
Might baste the pieces down. This is the only reason I can think of that might give you some aggrivation in doing the appique.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:41 AM

i would certainly run the gamut of cleaners, oxyclean, whink, bleach sticks, lemon juice and sunlight....try to get a good list here on the QB and be prepared to rinse thoroughly with a bathtub of clear, cold water lined with a clean white sheet (used UNDER THE quilt for lifting while wet) as soon as the stain appears to lift...have this ready, you don't want stain removers sitting in your quilt while you fill the tub...
Old 11-13-2011, 10:49 AM

I would! The way I would is to use glue sticks. (Elmer's School stick,washable.) First I would cut my design out of freezer paper. Then iron it on to the back of the fabric. Cut the fabric 1/4 " larger than the freezer paper design, this is the seam allowance. Fold the seam allowance over the the back of the freezer paper, & glue it down. Heat set the glue with an iron. Then take the freezer paper off. Repress the edges down. Place the applique in place & glue it down. Set the glue with the iron again. Leave the very edge of the applique not glued down, about a 1/16th of an inch. Then sew it down with the blind stitch. Be sure & bury your knot in the batting first. This is how I would do it How ever you do it it will be great!

I for got that you may need to clip some of the curves in the seam allowance.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:55 AM

What a wonderful idea. When you are finished with the applique you will have a whole new appearing quilt that is also fully quilted for only half the work. You won't be limited to a design by a kit since you will be covering up some discolorations. Everything will be truly original. Go for it! If some of your stitches catch the batting,don't fret. Try not to stitch all the way through the backing. Please post some pictures when you're finished so we can celebrate with you. Go girl, go.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
You probably can but in the end it'll still be a 15 year old comforter. Why not make it a whole duvet cover?
Ooooh, I like that idea!
Old 11-13-2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Trish88 View Post
Jenel....now this is just my opinion...first if youve never appliqued before why would you want to start with a project thats going to be so awkward for you? I hope I didnt offend you in anyway....but applique can be so much fun but when you get into something large its tricky.....Good luck with whatever you choose to do......Trish
No, you didn't offend me at all, Trish! Honestly, I wanted opinions. I don't actually know anything about anything at this point. I've never appliqued, so it didn't occur to me that starting on something large would be awkward and frustrating. (Though I will say that I'm not easily frustrated and that I love a challenge. ) The great thing about starting with this comforter would be that if it gets frustrating, I can throw it out without feeling too bad about quitting. LOL
Old 11-13-2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by dublb View Post
I would! The way I would is to use glue sticks...
Thank you, Bev! Your instructions are very helpful! I really think I might do this. It sounds like fun to me.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:29 PM

I hope it works for you!
Old 11-14-2011, 09:42 AM

i'd do it in a new york minute. i'd probably do raw edge applique using embroidery floss and a buttonhole stitch. i even repair my towels that way.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:46 PM

Jenel.....theres a lady who I just love watching her name is Sharon Pederson and shes on the quilt show.....just go to quilt show.com...you will have to sign up but it only takes a few minutes and each month you get videos etc on quilting, appliqueing etc.....she has some really awsome videos on appliqueing actually I just watched one of her newer ones the other day and I was quite impressed it was called padded applique and maybe this paticular type of applique may fit your need to cover up those stains your speaking off...if not it will be a learning technique that you may want to try sometime
I dont know about you but I always learn faster seeing rather then just reading....and thx for replying back to me....if you need any help let me know....Iam working on some xmas applique I will send a photo sometime this week and you can see it.....take care and god bless!! Trish