Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Can I recover the thread on my bobbin on my Baby Lock?

Unhappy Can I recover the thread on my bobbin on my Baby Lock?

I made a mistake while bobbin winding on my Babylock Soprano. I'm low on thread-new quilters mistake- and I'm wondering if there is anyway to save it. I was on a roll, making blocks!! Any Babylock users have any advice?? I think I had the thread starting from the top position. Its all lose on the bobbin!!

I've had this happen with my Viking and I put the loosely wound bobbin on the thread spool and wind it onto another bobbin.

And a picture of the bobbinName:  IMG_3111.JPG
Views: 985
Size:  85.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by FGlinda View Post
    I've had this happen with my Viking and I put the loosely wound bobbin on the thread spool and wind it onto another bobbin.
    Just exactly what I have done!!!

I would also wind it slowly.

I do this too. Even sew with half filled bobbins instead of a spool of thread to use up the bobbins.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Thanks all, I'll try that!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Onebyone! what a clever idea. I have several that I need to use your tip with. Have been using them to hand sew bindings and such but going to try and sew with them. What a great idea. Grammasharon

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I do this too. Even sew with half filled bobbins instead of a spool of thread to use up the bobbins.
    In my dream world, fabric is free and sewing makes you thin.

Sharon

Well that's a great solution! I've been sewing for a looonng time, starting in 4H, and never thought of it. Thanks for passing on what probably seems obvious!

It looks way too loose to me. I have sewn with bobbins thread too.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

In a learning to sew class I help with, we wind thread onto a bobbin to use as the spool - it means we don't have to have a spool of thread for each machine...we have a bit of a budget crunch in the program!
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

I use the partially filled bobbins from my LA as the top thread for my peicing machine all the time.

As to teh super loose bobbin, I'd rewind that going very slowly. It's likely the top thread will tighten up and slip under lower thread and then it won't unwind.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Thanks FGlinda and Maggie Sue!! It worked. Ugh I can't believe how simple and yet wonderful this solution is! I found some bobbin under my winder so I cleaned that up first. And made sure my thread was starting in the correct direction and I created a new bobbin. I just finished my 12th block. Now I have to find some place that sells that thread so I can keep going. I REALLY appreciate the help!!!!

Blog Entries
    Can you tell us the brand name of the original thread or google it st see where you might find it? Try on-line, too.
    Welcome to quilting!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I've done that, too, and never had any problems with it.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I use different thread when piecing- as I'm often using up ends of spools and what I've got on bobbins. Often I've got a different thread top and bottom too. I'm working on a scrappy quilt that not only is using up scraps of fabric but I'm sure I've used 8 different threads on it so far, and I'm about to run out so will be moving on to #9. I've used assorted colors on this one too, but again with it scrappy there would be no matching of thread to fabric anyway. I love that I've now got a tray of empty bobbins instead of several partially filled ones.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Yes, this is what I do when I get a bad bobbin wind. Easy to do and you are not "picking the thread off the bobbin" to rewind new thread on. Saves a lot of thread.