Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Can a Juki TL98Q be stretched?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7
    Does anyone know if the Juki [email protected] can be stretched and if so who does it?

  2. #2
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,088
    Blog Entries
    1
    I never thought about this... what a GREAT question!!! :D:D:D

  3. #3
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    29,683
    You must be joking.

  4. #4
    Super Member knlsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West central Illinois
    Posts
    2,968
    I have seen other machines madified, not sure about a Juki

  5. #5
    Pam
    Pam is offline
    Super Member Pam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    3,713
    Sewing machine pilates, LOL!

  6. #6
    Power Poster sewnsewer2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    16,723
    What do you mean by stretched????

  7. #7
    Super Member LindaR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,943
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolJean
    Does anyone know if the Juki [email protected] can be stretched and if so who does it?
    I belong to the yahoo juki group and they have all the info....They talk about a waiting line but those that have had it done love it....I'll see if I can find a picture

  8. #8
    Super Member LindaR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,943
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolJean
    Does anyone know if the Juki [email protected] can be stretched and if so who does it?
    heres what I found

    this is what it looks like
    Name:  Attachment-88558.jpe
Views: 569
Size:  55.0 KB

  9. #9
    Super Member BKrenning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Festus, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    1,552
    Rick at Wow Quilts is the person they normally talk about stretching their Juki, Brother, & Babylock machines. He may do others. The website is: http://wowquilts.com/

    They build their own industrial looking quilters also.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by BKrenning
    Rick at Wow Quilts is the person they normally talk about stretching their Juki, Brother, & Babylock machines. He may do others. The website is: http://wowquilts.com/

    They build their own industrial looking quilters also.
    I can't find any place on their site that talks about Juki.

  11. #11
    Power Poster sewnsewer2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    16,723
    Gee, I didn't know that could be done!

  12. #12
    Super Member justwannaquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Union, Missouri
    Posts
    1,576
    This is an awesome idea. I am sure it would cut WAY down on cost! hmmm something to think about. I love my brother but I'm sure I would love it more if it was stretched! lol

  13. #13
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    Oh I found this today! I was looking for a service manual, not a user manual for my machine.

    http://carusew.com/JUKI/TL/

  14. #14
    Super Member LindaR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,943
    Blog Entries
    1
    if you belong to yahoo groups its
    [email protected]

    those that have had it stretched seemed to like them...I wonder if it would fit on my Grace frame????

  15. #15
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,663
    Blog Entries
    194
    that is cool

  16. #16
    Super Member justwannaquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Union, Missouri
    Posts
    1,576
    I have been reading a lot about this on the home quilting system yahoo group and it seems that it costs about 18-1900 and Rick is the one that everyone turns to to get it done. There is a waiting list that seems to be be several months long. I also seems that you can sign up on the list and if you change you mind just remove your self from "the list". I have not read one bad comment about getting either machine, a Juki or a Brother stretched. Everyone that I have read that has had it done loves it and wouldn't change it for the world.

    They seem to all have anm 18 inch maching, and Rick will move the needle position button and the thread cutter button to the nose of the machine! The only down side for those that already have a frame for their machine is after the machine is stretched it no longer fits the frame.

    I think I might take my mom up on the offer to help her out at her business to make a little money just so I can get my machine stretched.

  17. #17
    Super Member butterflywing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    currently central new jersey
    Posts
    8,700
    i'm not sure i understand the concept. if you want a stretched machine (i have seen them) how do they compare in price? the tin lizzie AND several others are below $8,000 and are made to fit exactly in themselves on their custom frames.
    furthermore, you can see and try them at shows, and make your own deals for shipping. i did not pay any shipping for mine. you can also deal for loads of extras, especially in a poor economy.

    since they haven't been fiddled with at the head or needle, everything is as it was built to work. will the factory stand behind the machine once it's stretched? or are you protected only as long as this company exists. who gives you phone support?

  18. #18
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,088
    Blog Entries
    1
    I love it!!! Thank you for posting the picture of one stretched :D:D:D

  19. #19
    Moderator sharon b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    20,406
    Blog Entries
    10
    That is a whole lot of stretching going on :shock:

  20. #20
    Super Member fabric_fancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    at my sewing machine
    Posts
    1,975
    Quote Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
    I have been reading a lot about this on the home quilting system yahoo group and it seems that it costs about 18-1900 and Rick is the one that everyone turns to to get it done. There is a waiting list that seems to be be several months long. I also seems that you can sign up on the list and if you change you mind just remove your self from "the list". I have not read one bad comment about getting either machine, a Juki or a Brother stretched. Everyone that I have read that has had it done loves it and wouldn't change it for the world.

    They seem to all have anm 18 inch maching, and Rick will move the needle position button and the thread cutter button to the nose of the machine! The only down side for those that already have a frame for their machine is after the machine is stretched it no longer fits the frame.

    I think I might take my mom up on the offer to help her out at her business to make a little money just so I can get my machine stretched.
    some frames do not need to be replaced - if your frame can take an 18 inch machine you can still use it.

    the grace pinnacle is designed for an 18 inch throat machine.

  21. #21
    Super Member katsewnsew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    2,373
    http://www.westchestersewing.com/
    This place carries stretched Jukis, but they are only table models. You can either buy the head separately or the head with the table. These, I believe can be used for free motion quilting on a table where you sit, not a frame like what most of you have. If I am wrong, please correct me. I checked them out once before. One lady who demonstrates her free motion quilting on youtube uses this.

  22. #22
    Super Member BKrenning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Festus, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    1,552
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    i'm not sure i understand the concept. if you want a stretched machine (i have seen them) how do they compare in price? the tin lizzie AND several others are below $8,000 and are made to fit exactly in themselves on their custom frames.
    furthermore, you can see and try them at shows, and make your own deals for shipping. i did not pay any shipping for mine. you can also deal for loads of extras, especially in a poor economy.

    since they haven't been fiddled with at the head or needle, everything is as it was built to work. will the factory stand behind the machine once it's stretched? or are you protected only as long as this company exists. who gives you phone support?
    $8,000 is still a lot of money considering you can buy a new Juki for under $1,000 and even if Rick charges $1,800 to stretch it you've got plenty left over to buy all those other goodies that are supposedly "free" with the more expensive setups.

    I believe many of the machines are stretched domestic or even shortened industrial machines. If support is a major concern for you, I would suggest Nolting & Hinterberg machines and frames. Their support is fantastic according to the owners groups.

    Some of the biggest hurdles to frame machine quilting can't be helped with "tech support." Only practice, practice, practice can help. If you think you're going to load a king size quilt and get it all done with perfectly tensioned stitches the same day your setup is delivered--you are in for a very rude awakening! You're going to have thread breaks, pokies, loopies, eyelashes, puckers, broken needles, defective bobbins, etc. Learning to deal with all these events is part of the practice, practice, practice. Owning a machine quilting system and playing with them at quilt shops are 2 completely different animals. The best support in the world is not going to come to your house every time you run out of bobbin thread or you discover your backing is 2 inches too short.

    Now that I am completely off topic, I guess I should mention that I have a Voyager 17 SLR from Hinterberg which is a stretched machine on a Superquilter Pro-Flex frame and even if I had bought the entire setup brand new (I got it off ebay for a super-low price that they really shouldn't have been accepted) it would only be half of that $8,000.

    I, personally, have only had one issue I couldn't fix myself while frame quilting. A big lint ball got sucked up into the tension disks on the computerized domestic machine that I used to quilt with and I couldn't get it out so it had to go to the hospital. On the Voyager, there are very clear instructions for removing the tension assembly should the need arise and being strictly mechanical, it's a lot easier to work on myself.

  23. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Toms River, NJ
    Posts
    138
    I've got a Juki 98QE and I'm on the list to be stretched. It ends up a LOT cheaper than the Mid/LA's. I got my frame separate (John Watts). I like the Juki b/c it's an industrial machine. Sharon Shamler uses a Juki for piecing and it goes like 60 I also have a SR on it. I'm waiting for the call to ship it to Rick at WOWquilts. I know I am going to like it. I saved a lot of money doing it this way.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.