Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Can this quilt be saved?

Unhappy Can this quilt be saved?

I'm sick about this quilt. I received it back from the LA and the entire back looks like this. Is there a way that it can be fixed without tearing the whole thing apart? This was supposed to be a Christmas gift and I can't give it in this condition.

If this was your quilt, what would you do with it?

ETA: Wow are those pics large!!! My first time posting pics under the new board format. Sorry 'bout that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by rainbow quilter; 11-19-2011 at 05:58 AM.

And you paid good money for this? take it back and make her redo it!
    Mona Marie
    I am too Blessed to be stressed and too Anointed to be disappointed

Blog Entries
    I would take it out and ask for my money back

Blog Entries
    I would send it back to the LAQ for immediate redo. This is something a professional LAQ should have noticed early on and fixed it immediately.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

It definately is not right and you need to take it back to your LA'er and discuss it. It will have to come out and be redone. I can't think of any way to fix it and you would always be unhappy about it.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

oh that is just not acceptable! I would have the quilter repair it! So sorry this happened...
    Chiara Kate

Blog Entries
    I would first discuss the problem with the person who did the quilting.
    Give her/him an opportunity to either do it over or to refund what you paid her/him.

If a "do-over" is not in the cards, and if you have not yet added the binding, the next best thing is to add a second backing yourself. Use a quick, but decorative, stitch such as Turkey Tracks to attach the second back to the quilt. As long as you take care to ensure the new stitches don't show on the front, it will look just fine. Just remember to examine it under very good light to ensure the original back fabric doesn't show through the new one.

I have had to do this on more than one of my own quilts when my freemotion stitching looks good from the front but horrid from the back.

If it was me I would bring it back to the LA especially if I paid for the work to be done. That is just unacceptable workmanship for LA who gets paid for the service. If they gave me a hard time I would ask to see other quilts that they have quilted and compare them to your quilt. If they all look the same I would bring a book that has pictures of what is considered proper stitch control & picture of what is considered not proper stitch control. At least you have a clear case because she can not argue with the facts.

If she is a friend, then I would just start ripping out all the stitch work and either find someone else if you are willing to pay again or just quilt it yourself with a grid pattern or meander something simple.

I know my skills are limited when it comes to quilting my quilts, so I stick with grid patterns.

Good Luck, and I Feel Your Pain

Blog Entries
    This is sad. I would speak to the person that did this. It actually looks like little holes where the needle goes through. Redo or refund would be my options. If they are not willing to work with you well, I always say that word of mouth can make or break a person.

the only way i know to fix this is to skin the quilt.

i'm shocked that a professional LAer gave the quilt to you in this condition and had the nerve to charge you for this workmanship.

you need to return the quilt to the LAer and have them load the quilt back onto the frame so that the quilt can be skinned quickly and safely. you can look up "skinning a quilt" on youtube so you can see the method.

i would also get a refund of all monies paid and then give it to someone else to quilt for you.

I am so sorry for you. It looks like a tension problem to me that should have been noticed in the first foot of stitching. I would definitely take it back to the person who did it for a re-do. There is still plenty of time for her to finish it before Christmas.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...EFCC47044D.png
    You only go around once in life, but if you do it right, once is enough!

Is this a regular quilting cotton backing? If so, her tensions are WAY off. Is she a new Long armer? I only have a few customers (and like it that way!), but I always inspect the back as I start, everytime I put in a new bobbin, and when I take it off the frame. I cannot tell if those holes are torn. If they are, the backing needs to be replaced. If not, they may be fixable. Sometimes they close up when you wash it. Sometimes if I have to pick out a few stitches (or ALOT!), I scratch the threads to get them back in place. Let us know what you decide and how it turns out. Wish I was there to go with you for support!

PS there is PLENTY of time to get this done before Christmas.
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

you need to get it back straight away - don't take any of the stitches out or change it in any way

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry this happened to you. I definitely agree that the quilter should take responsibility for that mess. I hope she is not a personal friend. It would be sad to lose a friendship over a quilt. Best of luck!

I agree that it needs to go back to the longarmer for either a refund or a re-do if you trust her. Personally, I'd do refund and take it to someone else, because the workmanship is so poor and the fact that you got a quilt in that condition tells me either she doesn't care enough to inspect her work, or she cares so little for your business that she will hand you shoddy workmanship and expect payment. Either is totally UNACCEPTABLE. If she is a friend, guess what? My advice is still the same. A friend should not use friendship as an excuse to give you sub-par quality.

Hopefully you can wash the quilt and the holes will come out, I have seen some pretty big holes be fixed with a wash, but the quilting definitely needs to be removed and re-done. Good luck getting it done by Christmas, I think you still have time and hope for the best. Keep us posted!
    Last edited by Mad Mimm; 11-19-2011 at 07:35 AM.
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

It is hard to believe that your quilter wouldn't notice what they did to your quilt. Like others, I find this totally unacceptable and would at least demand my money back.
    Join me in fighting Alzheimer's Disease-http://www.alzquilts.org/. Make 9" x 12" mini quilts that are sold. These are sold on-line and at the Houston Quilt Show. One hundred percent of the proceeds go for research to fight this dread disease. I lost my Dad to it and my mother-in-law has it as well. Something has to be done--we can sew for a cure!

Wow, I would definitely bring this up with the quilter. That is bad. If that happened in one spot, it wouldn't be a huge issue but the entire back of the quilt is bad.

OMG..so sad. and talk about frustrating for you
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

What a heartbreaker...a backing overlay would fix it, MAYBE, we all learn who we can trust the hard way. So sorry for your problem.
    janb

No one has questioned the fabric choice for the backing.....it looks to be a verrrry loose weave, perhaps not strudy enough? The LA should have recommended a better one if that is the case.

So sorry about your quilt. It is really bad. I would demand my money back.I can not quilt but it looks like that person cant either. joyce j

The above posters have said it all...sorry that your top was subjected to this. Wishing you the best.
    Lisa L.
    Howdies from Possum Trot (yes it does exist)
    My most recent swap - Boomerang 16

Take it back and tell itneeds to be redone.show her want you see .and tell her you would like to have it done over or get your money back.

Blog Entries
    I am so sorry this has happened. The first thing I would do is have a discussion with the LAQ, about returning the money that was paid for this job. I think she should also reimburse you for the backing fabric. I would take it apart and wash the backing fabric. Sometimes the small holes will close, but I have my doubts as to whether you can reuse this fabric.
    Sadiemae

Your picture is greatly enlarged and so the holes and stitching are greatly exaggerated in the picture. Still, there is a tension problem here that should have been addressed early on in the quilting process. The holes which look so large in your picture are from the machine needle and usually close up when the quilt is washed. I wish you had posted a real size picture along with the close-ups. Talk with the LA quilter and see if she/he can redo this for you before Christmas-there is still time, you should be their first priority right now.
    jackie

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast