Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can this quilt be saved? >

Can this quilt be saved?

Can this quilt be saved?

Old 11-19-2011, 05:54 AM

Unhappy Can this quilt be saved?

I'm sick about this quilt. I received it back from the LA and the entire back looks like this. Is there a way that it can be fixed without tearing the whole thing apart? This was supposed to be a Christmas gift and I can't give it in this condition.

If this was your quilt, what would you do with it?

ETA: Wow are those pics large!!! My first time posting pics under the new board format. Sorry 'bout that.
Attached Thumbnails quilt-back-1.jpg   quilt-back-3.jpg  

Last edited by rainbow quilter; 11-19-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:00 AM

And you paid good money for this? take it back and make her redo it!
Old 11-19-2011, 06:00 AM

I would take it out and ask for my money back
Old 11-19-2011, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

I would send it back to the LAQ for immediate redo. This is something a professional LAQ should have noticed early on and fixed it immediately.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:01 AM

It definately is not right and you need to take it back to your LA'er and discuss it. It will have to come out and be redone. I can't think of any way to fix it and you would always be unhappy about it.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:02 AM

oh that is just not acceptable! I would have the quilter repair it! So sorry this happened...
Old 11-19-2011, 06:03 AM
Administrator

I would first discuss the problem with the person who did the quilting.
Give her/him an opportunity to either do it over or to refund what you paid her/him.

If a "do-over" is not in the cards, and if you have not yet added the binding, the next best thing is to add a second backing yourself. Use a quick, but decorative, stitch such as Turkey Tracks to attach the second back to the quilt. As long as you take care to ensure the new stitches don't show on the front, it will look just fine. Just remember to examine it under very good light to ensure the original back fabric doesn't show through the new one.

I have had to do this on more than one of my own quilts when my freemotion stitching looks good from the front but horrid from the back.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:09 AM

If it was me I would bring it back to the LA especially if I paid for the work to be done. That is just unacceptable workmanship for LA who gets paid for the service. If they gave me a hard time I would ask to see other quilts that they have quilted and compare them to your quilt. If they all look the same I would bring a book that has pictures of what is considered proper stitch control & picture of what is considered not proper stitch control. At least you have a clear case because she can not argue with the facts.

If she is a friend, then I would just start ripping out all the stitch work and either find someone else if you are willing to pay again or just quilt it yourself with a grid pattern or meander something simple.

I know my skills are limited when it comes to quilting my quilts, so I stick with grid patterns.

Good Luck, and I Feel Your Pain
Old 11-19-2011, 06:09 AM

This is sad. I would speak to the person that did this. It actually looks like little holes where the needle goes through. Redo or refund would be my options. If they are not willing to work with you well, I always say that word of mouth can make or break a person.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:16 AM

the only way i know to fix this is to skin the quilt.

i'm shocked that a professional LAer gave the quilt to you in this condition and had the nerve to charge you for this workmanship.

you need to return the quilt to the LAer and have them load the quilt back onto the frame so that the quilt can be skinned quickly and safely. you can look up "skinning a quilt" on youtube so you can see the method.

i would also get a refund of all monies paid and then give it to someone else to quilt for you.