Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can Selvage be in the Seam?? >

Can Selvage be in the Seam??

Can Selvage be in the Seam??

Old 11-13-2010, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by hobo2000
I wash my fabric with the selvedge on and have never had it draw up or shrink. Its fabric the same as where it is printed. I have used it for effect within a log cabin block on a quilt for my dog and it gets washed weekly and looks the same as the rest of the quilt. Remember, it is made with the same threads as the rest of the fabric.
On some of the fabrics I've washed, the selvage does shrink noticeably. On others, no shrinkage, or not very much.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:49 PM

I wouldn't do it. When I left a selvedge on and tried to do a narrow hem, it wasn't nice. The selvedge isn't flat & true
Old 11-14-2010, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Parrothead
I'm working on a design for a quilt that needs tiny strips. The fabric has some neat strips but one would have part of the selvage in the seam. I have done this with sewing but not quilts. Is it okay?? What would be the problem if it is hidden?
I was taught (way back in the dark ages, when I went to school in the cave :-) ) to never leave the selvage on, but rather to make sure it was not used in the sewing of any seam. Trouble is, I can't remember why! But as a result, I have never allowed the selvage to remain on anything I have sewn in the past 64 years!
Old 11-14-2010, 01:02 PM

If I'm using the selvedge in a seam, I make sure I cut the furthest edge off. That way even if it does shrink, it can be pressed flat.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
Originally Posted by Bluelady
The selvage will shrink at such a different rate than the rest of the fabric, that it can cause problems after the quilt is washed a few times. It will make it wrinkle and pucker oddly.
I agree with Jana. If you have ever seen an older quilt that draws up at a seam it's because the selvage was left on. I've seen it mainly on quilt backings. You will see the seam looking almost like there is a draw string pulling it.
I agree with Jana and Kathy. The selvage is tight to begin with and will shrink differently than the rest of the fabric. However, as with clothing, if you clip the selvage (don't cut into the seam) it should be o.k. in the seam allowance.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
Originally Posted by Bluelady
The selvage will shrink at such a different rate than the rest of the fabric, that it can cause problems after the quilt is washed a few times. It will make it wrinkle and pucker oddly.
I agree with Jana. If you have ever seen an older quilt that draws up at a seam it's because the selvage was left on. I've seen it mainly on quilt backings. You will see the seam looking almost like there is a draw string pulling it.
Ooopps, ........ I do it all the time. Guess I better stop.
I didn't know this. Thank you.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:33 PM

Only if you don't mind it shrinking at a different rate than the rest of the fabric. That is normally what happens to the selvages.

Also, it is harder to quilt through, by machine or hand.

Debbie in Austin
Old 11-14-2010, 02:01 PM

I never leave the selvedges on for all the above mentioned reasons.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:04 PM

I fine that the selvagdges are heavier than the rest of the fabric, so I don't usually use them in small pieced blocks, but haven't had trouble with that on bigger things like a tablecloth. How's that for an ambiguous answer!?