Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can someone help me???? Binding tool... >

Can someone help me???? Binding tool...

Can someone help me???? Binding tool...

Old 11-13-2009, 12:31 PM

We bought this tool at the Des Moines AQS.
I watched the video and then I used the directions on the tool itself. I had a problem because I used premade blanket binding and it was wider than the tool.
Leave 8 inches of binding, then starting sewing it onto the quilt. Sew binding to quilt and when you are near the end leave a 12 inch space between the starting stitch and the ending stitch. Leave an 8 inch length of binding at the end, (same as beginning).
Look at the quilt so beginning stitch is on your left side. Butt the end of the ruler that is straight against the stitching you ended with, be sure the writing is up on the ruler and have the R facing you.
Lay the binding on top of the ruler and mark a small dot or line where the tool has the mark here line, mark on the edge of the binding opposite the folded edge.
Turn the ruler upside down with the printing up and the letter L should be upright and printing on ruler upside down.
Place the straight edge of the ruler against the stitching where you started the binding. Bring the beginning 8 in tail over the ruler and mark with a small dot or line where the marking line is.
Open the binding and place the letter L on the mark you made on the binding.
Either trace and cut along the tool edge or use the rotary cutter.

Next open the end binding turn tool over and place the R where you made the mark. Trace and cut or use the rotary cutter on the end 8 in tail. I found it easier to press my binding open before I cut.
Place right sides of the tails together and sew 1/4 in seam. Press the seam open and press the binding back to the original fold.
Once I figured it out it worked great.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:25 AM

check this out....it know has for a 2 and 2 1/2" strips...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCHoM6lPwpU
Old 11-14-2009, 02:42 PM

I have a binding tool don't know if it is the same one but I could help you you can email me at [email protected] & I can also talk you through it.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:17 PM

Hi Riversong

The tool is quite simple and I agree the video clip is not great I had to stop and rewind quite a few times to work it out..
This is what I worked out: follow instructions on ruler to step 3. For step 3 do the first part. Then rotate the ruler 180 degree but place the blunt point of the angle on the mark, not the 'Mark Here" line, cut and all should go well.
Hope this is clear as mud.

Liz in Australia
Old 02-02-2010, 05:31 PM

I do not use a tool, just a ruler and pencil. You can't tell which miter I ended with to the miters joining strips together.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:58 AM

[quote=Riversong]I watched the tutorial by the Mo.quilting company and I cannot understand how to use this tool. They go too fast. The directions are on it as well,but i am so dense at times...anyone know any other tutes to follow or can you explain to me???? I hate that i spent money on something i cant use!!! hi i don't know if any one seen the update on here it is the bindhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex2Pa...ure=relateding
Old 06-07-2010, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Riversong
I watched the tutorial by the Mo.quilting company and I cannot understand how to use this tool. They go too fast. The directions are on it as well,but i am so dense at times...anyone know any other tutes to follow or can you explain to me???? I hate that i spent money on something i cant use!!!
Riversong: there are two videos at Missouri Star re: the binding tool. they went back and re-did it because the first one just glossed over the instructions. the second one is much more precise. Check it out. and while you're at it, send a msg to the MSQC to remove the original tutorial as it is just confusing and frustrating. I did. I bought the tool and had the same problem. I emailed them and I guess a lot of others did too. good luck.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:23 AM

I found this web site. It is a PDF file
http://www.punchwithjudy.com.au/shop...l_tutorial.pdf
Old 12-30-2010, 10:25 AM
BMP

I bought it but havent used it yet so I am no help
Old 02-18-2011, 09:35 PM

here is the second tutorial BETTER explained video -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...otation_394850

I am so glad I found this video and found out about this great tool! I've made good notes on a scrap binding piece but always have to dig it out and familiarize myself with the measurements... however when I order this tool the only thing I'll have to remember is the 12" space! no other math! ;)

Hope this helps you find what you're looking for.
Love from Texas! ~bonnie