Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can there be too much quilting on a top? >

Can there be too much quilting on a top?

Can there be too much quilting on a top?

Old 01-17-2011, 10:52 AM

Yes I feel judges are partial to the more elaborate machine quilted entries. I don't feel that "old fashioned" quilts get a fair shake.

Originally Posted by RST
Are those of you who so strongly dislike heavy quilting wanting to enter quilts in competition, and feeling that the judges are slanted away from your less dense quilting?

Or are you hobbyists who have very strong tastes and just don't like the way other people are making their quilts?

To me, it's completely irrelevant what other people choose to do in their hobby. Their quilts are in their homes, in their washing machines or on their beds or walls, so they can do whatever they want. I'll make mine however I want (which by the way is pretty densely quilted, because I like that look).

But if it's an issue of feeling that competitions are skewed toward the long arm / heavy quilting crowd, then it seems to me that the obvious response is to get more involved in the structure of quilt showing and judging, and make sure your aesthetic gets a fair representation in competitions.

RST
Old 01-17-2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Qbee
Goodness.....breathe in....breathe out...

:lol:
Old 01-17-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
To each his own. I say do what you like, but I would never say that someones quilt is "absolutely horrid" because they don't agree with me!!!!
Agreed.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:58 AM
RST

Kwhite -- why don't you become a judge?

Seriously. If you have a strong knowledge of the technical qualities of a good traditional quilt, and you care about the continuing tradition, you could be a judge specializing in that arena.

RST
Old 01-17-2011, 12:25 PM

I don't have that much knowledge, I live too far from the shows, and I am not politically correct enough. I tell you exactly how I feel and many times people don't like that.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Banned

I think densely quilted quilts are incredibly beautiful to look at and make great wall hangings. But on bed, lap or baby quilts, I like much less quilting so it stays nice and comfy rather than stiff. Both are beautiful and have their place but for my quilts (which are almost all utility quilts) I quilt moderatley so it looks nice, but stays soft. In the end, we all do what makes us happy with our quilts and that's as it should be. :D
Old 01-17-2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
To each his own. I say do what you like, but I would never say that someones quilt is "absolutely horrid" because they don't agree with me!!!!
Amen...
Old 01-17-2011, 12:53 PM

I say yes, there can be too much. I do not like the stiffness. But if it is a wall quilt it is different than one you will use on your bed or couch. One thing that bothers me is when the quilting is very heavy and stiff in one area and then they either do minimal or no quilting in other areas. I like a good balance on mine
Old 01-17-2011, 01:43 PM

I'm just glad I make my quilts for using and have no desire and no intention of ever entering them in any type of contest. I don't do well with that kind of pressure. In fact, it's enough pressure worrying whether the recipient will like it or not.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:19 PM

Personally I don't like quilts that are quilted so heavily thaty look more like printed matress pads. I like puffy quilting that emphasizes the design of the quilt.