Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can thiiis quilt be saaaved. >

Can thiiis quilt be saaaved.

Can thiiis quilt be saaaved.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:47 AM

I think this is adorable just the way you have it laid out!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:51 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

I think the white sashing solves your problem, is a simple fix, and leaves room for a fun Seuss border. BUT I noticed you rearranged the nine-patches. It jumped right out at me. I liked the first arrangement better. I think it's the yellow and blue blocks at the bottom with the dots. This is an awesome quilt, and your niece is going to love it!!
Old 04-07-2014, 11:33 AM

Looks ok on second pic......use the dr. Seuss fabric for border looks a bit bland with just that white sashing......actually I sort of liked the first pic better, maybe just sash around the edge of center white, then one of the solid colors for a border would lick it in...... Either way kiddo will like it
Old 04-07-2014, 06:09 PM

Go with that 2nd layout (white sashing)! (just my two cents worth).
Old 04-07-2014, 06:39 PM

Thanks all! The sashing will be thinner than in the picture and will be closely quilted with freehand doodles, probably with a variegated pastel that reads white from a distance. And I'll use cotton batting for the shrinky effect. So it probably will look less plain when it's done, and more like an antique. I'm also going to add another column of blocks, so even the layout of the blocks right now will change. I love the idea of using Seuss for a border, so I'll test that. If I can't get it working right away, I'll probably just use it as a backing.

I'm happiest with the less busy version, so I'm more likely to finish it! I only wish I'd made the 9 patches smaller. I debated. The reasons I went with the large size were (1) I wanted it to be a quick quilt because I doubt the level of appreciation for quilts; (2) Horton was too big and I couldn't get a full shot of him in a smaller block.

But I've also made two revelations from this project.

1. I will never again try and make a "quick" quilt with an idea I've never used before.
2. To cure busy-ness, move the blocks farther from each other.

I really need to make notes for future quilts.

Oh and the third revelation. The members of this board are really helpful, sweet and kind. So thanks for your further input.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:02 PM

I think I'd move the red and green block apart just my two cents. Going to be nice when done. Do what makes you happy. I know all too well about those quick quilts
Old 04-07-2014, 07:10 PM

I wouldn't change a thing. She will love it. Little kids attention span is verrrry short. Get it finished and ready for her.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:50 AM

I personally like the 2nd version better BUT I'm not a child & they LOVE bright, colourful & busy..................a child would probably prefer your 1st version. Just saying !!!!
Old 04-08-2014, 09:04 AM

Both are nice, and I am sure she will be happy with either one, but babies do love busy. Do what makes you happy too.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:25 AM

I like it.both ways...but with a sashing making it bigger maybe they would hang on to it longer??